Rodents eating my wiring harness. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rodents eating my wiring harness.

Coyotes gotta eat too..
Yotes are a big problem with the farmers and there are many groups here in southern WI that hunt them for the farmers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ I'm not so sure if that is true for the second generation anticoagulants? Besides, what if the vulture eats more than one?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, not exactly sure how to start a thread, and couldn't find a perfect spot to ask my question. As a preface to my question, my 2008 Ford Explorer - AWD suffered an animal invasion - likely ground squirrels. Dealer mechanic repaired / replaced effected wires. I didn't realize the horn didn't work until many days later. The mechanic suggested checking the fuse. So, this is my question:

I have located the fuse box (It's the black box under the steering wheel, on the side wall). I have seen youtube videos and diagrams - seems like "press the tab" and the cover pops off. Not the case for me. It's 32 degrees here in Buffalo, NY, mighty cold for contorting myself into a position to access the bugger.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I can post a photo if needed. Thanks in advance! Mike

Hi, I'm new to the forum, not exactly sure how to start a thread, and couldn't find a perfect spot to ask my question. As a preface to my question, my 2008 Ford Explorer - AWD suffered an animal invasion - likely ground squirrels. Dealer mechanic repaired / replaced effected wires. I didn't realize the horn didn't work until many days later. The mechanic suggested checking the fuse. So, this is my question:

I have located the fuse box (It's the black box under the steering wheel, on the side wall). I have seen youtube videos and diagrams - seems like "press the tab" and the cover pops off. Not the case for me. It's 32 degrees here in Buffalo, NY, mighty cold for contorting myself into a position to access the bugger.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I can post a photo if needed. Thanks in advance! Mike

It's probably stiff from the cold. Press the tab and pull.

Hi Rick, Thanks for your quick reply. Okay, so it seems the tab at the end is inflexible - it doesn't move at all. Okay, so do you think I should go run the heater directed at the floor, then try it? When you say "Press the tab and pull" - when I am laying on the floor, looking up, the tab sticks out toward the engine...are you saying press it in, towards the box, then pull it toward my face? Or are you saying press the tab up, then pull the cover? I'm giving it one more try before I give up for the day.

The tab goes towards the cover while pulling cover outwards.

I found this video where it shows him removing the cover. I believe it's the same on your '08. It's 1 minute into the video.

I found this video where it shows him removing the cover. I believe it's the same on your '08. It's 1 minute into the video.

That video looks the same as one I found for an 08. If it's stiff from the cold a hair dryer could be used to warm it up.

"press the tab" and the cover pops off. Not the case for me. It's 32 degrees here in Buffalo, NY, mighty cold for contorting myself into a position to access the bugger.

Horn is non-critical to drive, I'd just try it after the next time I'd been driving long enough to heat the interior.

I parked my '93 Explorer outside for a year with the half doors on. Our neighbors cat made a home in the truck and I never had rodent problems with that vehicle :D Cat was clean too. Never peed in the truck.

View attachment 426894
NICE roll bars! Why is my cat there? LOL

IMG_0069.JPG

If a vehicle is to be parked where there is any possibility of rodents get yourself some peppermint oil and cotton balls. Soak the balls and put one at the driver's side one at the passenger side and do the same in the back seat. Then put a couple under the hood.
I do this with my pontoon and don't have a problem.

Isn't that just so nice for them to make the fuses so convenient for the consumers?
Another way for FORD to get the vehicle in the shop for big bucks!

Isn't that just so nice for them to make the fuses so convenient for the consumers?

Ford has been using this type of latch for 30 years or so. If the latch is keeping someone from getting to the fuse it's probably better that way ;)

22fuse.jpg

What's difficult about a fuse panel cover?

two weeks and the OP hasn't been back since the day he joined. Hmmmm.

I was able to open fuse panel inside vehicle after a bit of effort. Checking fuses is a bit more challenging than my 98 F150

I was able to open fuse panel inside vehicle after a bit of effort. Checking fuses is a bit more challenging than my 98 F150
Getting into a kinky position isn't my thing either

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back