Rodents eating my wiring harness. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rodents eating my wiring harness.

Rodents have eaten my wiring harness for the third time now, it cost me over 3,300. My vehicle is brand new yet it is not covered under warranty. The wiring harness is made out of soybean which attracts the rodents, yet the Ford is not liable for any of these problems.View attachment 426579
I live in Central FL and had the same thing happen. I took bird feeder out of my yard too. We have giant fox squirrels but IDK which type of a hole rodent is chewing wires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I get why people use deterrents.
But the simple fact remains that you have rodents. You have an obligation to your family and neighbors to declare genocide.
Anything else opens one up to health issues, and damage to your wallet.
I recommended the Uhlik rat trap because I saw some beady little eye shine on one of my security cameras after a house kitty corner started a total renovation- yuuup a close look you could see them.
A deterrent doesn't necessarily move them along, they just don't breed as fast.
Next thing you know you have infected the neighborhood.

OK, I get why people use deterrents.
But the simple fact remains that you have rodents. You have an obligation to your family and neighbors to declare genocide.
Anything else opens one up to health issues, and damage to your wallet.
I recommended the Uhlik rat trap because I saw some beady little eye shine on one of my security cameras after a house kitty corner started a total renovation- yuuup a close look you could see them.
A deterrent doesn't necessarily move them along, they just don't breed as fast.
Next thing you know you have infected the neighborhood.
Lol what? Depending where you live (!) signs of rodents on your car dont necessarily have to be a sign of infestation/ infectious animals.
We have a lot of field mice - store the wrong materials openly in the garage they’ll gnaw off and piss all over the place. Still it’s not my right to exterminate every living thing that comes my way just because nature might annoy me. Especially if they’d keep coming. It’s way smarter, safer and cheaper to adjust than to declare war.

Lol what? Depending where you live (!) signs of rodents on your car dont necessarily have to be a sign of infestation/ infectious animals.
We have a lot of field mice - store the wrong materials openly in the garage they’ll gnaw off and piss all over the place. Still it’s not my right to exterminate every living thing that comes my way just because nature might annoy me. Especially if they’d keep coming. It’s way smarter, safer and cheaper to adjust than to declare war.
Go ahead lol. Tularemia, leptospirosis,lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), hantavirus,and Salmonella are friggin hilarious. Oh how about rabies?
I'll choose not to expose my family, friends, neighbors,pets.
There are many things in nature that annoy me, Man being one of them,yet I don't exterminate every thing that comes my way.

Go ahead lol. Tularemia, leptospirosis,lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), hantavirus,and Salmonella are friggin hilarious. Oh how about rabies?
There are many things in nature that annoy me, Man being one of them,yet I don't exterminate every thing that comes my way.
You could start wearing a mask - just in case ☺️

Save the whales …

4167501A-88DD-4C5C-BA00-93EFD0475BC5.jpeg

I'm a Ford technician and we use this stuff once we repair the wiring and I've only ever seen one come back after being wrapped with the tape and it just had two little chew marks on it that pierced the wiring. I've been a technician for over 30 years and have been repairing rodent damage for all of those 30+ years! It's only really gotten worse in the last 10 years or due to the amount of wiring and to an extent how easy it is for rodents to get to the wiring, the tape is infused with Habanero juice, so you need to wear gloves when you use it.
1645847400985.png

^^^^ That looks like the anti-rodent tape I bought from the Honda dealership! I thought It was only available through Honda.

It is the only product that solved the problem for me, for a seldom used RV parked outside near swamp and woods.

Is this vehicle parked inside our outside?
If the chewing is happening under the hood only try leaving the hood open

The anti rodent tape works!

I have never had any luck with electronic mice deterrants
Moth balls and dryer sheets do seem to help some

I have 3 cats that live in my shop
So if the car spends a few nights in the shop the mice go bye bye

I have lots of vehicles inside and out and we have lots of field mice
Chewing on the wires sucks to deal with!
Get the tape
Build yourself a real mouse trap

I caught 11 mice in one night with one bucket trap

Nah, I enjoy freedom, not mandates
But your free to keep wearing yours.
I was being ironic. Paradox switcheroo after your whole hazard list…
Genocide on harmless rodents sounded mandating to me actually. Imo it’s a waste of time and chemicals. Rodent tape works just fine. Whatever man.

There are many more animals that can carry and pass on the listed diseases, including some household pets. Rodents make up a small percentage of them.

Peter

...Last resort would be a homebrew hot sauce... I grow hot peppers, so would just make a sauce with no salt or vinegar/acid added, and completely strain the pulp out. I recommend something like white habaneros so there is very minimal discoloration...
Doesn't seem right to use a premium pepper for critter deterrent, maybe some wretched (or at least "more common") tabascos instead? It's hard to beat a fresh-from-the-garden habanero with lunch (or dried and ground in with peanut butter). No way am I sharing with rodentia.

Rodents have eaten my wiring harness for the third time now, it cost me over 3,300. My vehicle is brand new yet it is not covered under warranty. The wiring harness is made out of soybean which attracts the rodents, yet the Ford is not liable for any of these problems.View attachment 426579

Oh this is right up my alley. Cheapest way that won't be toxic or hurt ears on pets. Lasts forever. $30.

Walmart bin (rock in bottom to hold down... Add water if ya want em dead). Food in bottom of bin.

Shovel upside down leaning on edge of bin. If can't get to stay pop couple holes big zip tie.

Criters check in and never check out. Works inside or outside. Ain't pretty but you quickly never see a rat or mouse in your ride again.

Anyone need to know ez roach & ant prob solved... lmk. :)

407747-410e0eb1298133de19d7b9ba7356c644.jpg
407748-2bc50f1d0e859051bd18b6d042f9d7bc.jpg

Doesn't seem right to use a premium pepper for critter deterrent, maybe some wretched (or at least "more common") tabascos instead? It's hard to beat a fresh-from-the-garden habanero with lunch (or dried and ground in with peanut butter). No way am I sharing with rodentia.
If you have the (same) space on the ground or a pot, might as well grow the premium peppers. White habs aren't nearly as hot as some, and generally an annoyance to make hot sauce due to how tiny they are (for human consumption I always cut pods open to make sure no mold or larvae inside, but in this case could just dump whole pods in a blender, seeds and all to strain out later), but the resultant sauce being clear (barely amber tinted) is going to cosmetically deface less, even make the surface shiny like it had armor all on it.

Otherwise, habs are significantly hotter than tabascos, so takes less to get the job done. If it weren't for the color issue, I'd just use super-hot peppers instead, where the hottest tend to be red.

...If it weren't for the color issue, I'd just use super-hot peppers instead, where the hottest tend to be red.
Heh, maybe so hot (crowd in background: "How hot are they?"), one sniff and it's all over. :dead:

^ Yes, making super hot sauce is the most painful thing that I willingly subject myself to. Everyone else vacates the premises for a few hours, lol. I mean the fumes, I'm pretty careful to wear nitrile gloves and not let skin come in contact with them, but exhaust fans while roasting and cooking it down, aren't nearly effective enough but I'm not going to put in a lab grade fume extractor in the kitchen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To all the naysayers of extermination. What kind of towns and cities do you live in where you let rats and other vermin run free?
Great pains are taken to eradicate vermin in built up areas throughout the western world.

Back