Roller Coaster Noise (Extremely loud) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roller Coaster Noise (Extremely loud)

socci

Reaction score
City, State
Coventry, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
So a little background first. A few weeks ago I replaced both front wheel hubs with bearings, all four front ball joints, and upper control arms. She drove like a beaut up until yesterday. Now all of a sudden my truck is making a very loud roller coaster sound as if the roller coaster is going uphill (ticking and clunking) when I am either letting off of the gas and coasting at lower speeds, or sometimes when accelerating. Normally if it is making the noise while coasting when I step on the gas the noise goes away. Sometimes it doesnt make the noise at all no matter what I am doing. At first I thought it was a heat shield rattling around, but the noise is getting worse and worse, plus I do not see any heat shield under there where the noise is coming from. It sounds like it is coming from right under teh drivers seat or left wheel. I thought maybe it was a cv joint or whatever, but wouldnt that make noise all the time if it was bad? Is it possible my dust shield could be causing this? It also makes the noise when I turn, but only sometimes.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V8 all wheel drive models exhibit this issue when the front drive shaft cv goes out.

Also
Double check the brake caliper bracket to knuckle bolts. Once they are removed they will often work themselves back out--

V8 all wheel drive models exhibit this issue when the front drive shaft cv goes out.

Also
Double check the brake caliper bracket to knuckle bolts. Once they are removed they will often work themselves back out--

Will do. Is there any way to test the cv with the wheel off? I just figured if its a cv then wouldnt it make the noise at all times?

Will do. Is there any way to test the cv with the wheel off? I just figured if its a cv then wouldnt it make the noise at all times?

I was referring to the cv joint on the rear of the front drive shaft--it is on the end that attaches to the transfer case, on AWD v8. Which engine do you have? Is it 4wd?

I was referring to the cv joint on the rear of the front drive shaft--it is on the end that attaches to the transfer case, on AWD v8. Which engine do you have? Is it 4wd?

Oh right right I was thinking about something else. 5.0 V8 awd.

If I ripped the boot on the cv axle would that cause the problem? I ripped both sides trying to hang it out of the way when replacing the control arms.

Just tearing the boots won't cause a problem, but once those joints lose their grease and get filled with dirt they will eat themselves up and you will need new axles. Your choices are to fix the boots now, or just drive it until the joints destruct and then replace the axles.

Just tearing the boots won't cause a problem, but once those joints lose their grease and get filled with dirt they will eat themselves up and you will need new axles. Your choices are to fix the boots now, or just drive it until the joints destruct and then replace the axles.

Yea Im starting to think my left side axle is bad now. I drove it for a week or two with it ripped and one of those days was a snow storm.

Well, you can go for a long time before it actually breaks. You can plan to change them when it's convenient.

Well, you can go for a long time before it actually breaks. You can plan to change them when it's convenient.

Oh really? I was under the impression they could go any minute and if that happened at high speeds it would be pretty rough for me. I was going to pay double to get them in stores today to try and swap them in the cold, but I can get them online for 24 bucks a side. Thats such a good deal if I can drive to school on them this week I'd much rather do that. It sounds so bad and gets more and more constant though I figured they were about to go.

Do they make noise just on corners or when going straight also? If the latter, replace them now. Depends on how bad they are already, but they can make a lot of noise without actually breaking. I wouldn't wait too long, but I wouldn't be too quick to do it in these temperatures.

If you plan to wait at a minimum wrap the boot in duct tape and put some grease in the joint.

They make noise now pretty much non stop it's embarrassing, I stopped driving it and arrange rides this week while parts are in the mail. I'm banking on left cv axle or the u joint right under the drivers seat, but I replaced that two years ago. I have a few extra u joints so I'll swap that first and see if it's fixed, if not I'll swap the axles I bought and let you guys know the solution. I appreciate the help.

If they are that bad, you are right to get them replaced right away.

So Turdle was almost spot on. I replaced both front axles just to find out that wasnt the problem. Then I removed the frotn drive shaft and took it around the block and the noise was gone. I should have done that from the start. It ended up being the front u joint which I replaced maybe two years ago. Thanks for the help

So a little background first. A few weeks ago I replaced both front wheel hubs with bearings, all four front ball joints, and upper control arms. She drove like a beaut up until yesterday. Now all of a sudden my truck is making a very loud roller coaster sound as if the roller coaster is going uphill (ticking and clunking) when I am either letting off of the gas and coasting at lower speeds, or sometimes when accelerating. Normally if it is making the noise while coasting when I step on the gas the noise goes away. Sometimes it doesnt make the noise at all no matter what I am doing. At first I thought it was a heat shield rattling around, but the noise is getting worse and worse, plus I do not see any heat shield under there where the noise is coming from. It sounds like it is coming from right under teh drivers seat or left wheel. I thought maybe it was a cv joint or whatever, but wouldnt that make noise all the time if it was bad? Is it possible my dust shield could be causing this? It also makes the noise when I turn, but only sometimes.

Thanks
That sound is actually your front drive shaft. I have same sound and was curious why. If anyone knows. I do have a lot of backlash in front end and need to rebuild

i cant tell if youre telling us its the DS, or if youre asking us to identify noise... and OP hasnt been seen since '15... also, are you in lakewood CA? or a different state?if so, youre nearby! ;)

i cant tell if youre telling us its the DS, or if youre asking us to identify noise. To.. and OP hasnt been seen since '15... also, are you in lakewood CA? or a different state?if so, youre nearby! ;)
I was just saying that the noise was from the front shaft. In case anyone else saw this and wanted to know. Also asking why it makes that noise

I was just saying that the noise was from the front shaft. In case anyone else saw this and wanted to know. Also asking why it makes that noise
Nobody answered it correctly... so I figured that I would.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody answered it correctly... so I figured that I would.
i see now!!! im no epert on this, but i assume it has something to do with the joint is going bad, as the driveshaft keeps having to "reseat" and thee is play in it, so it would clunk as it is reseating over and over, and it may not exhibit this under high load, as 1. noise may be masked by other sounds 2. high load may keep it in motion quick enough that it doesnt do that (think about swinging a bucket of water fast enough(if you spin slow, it spills, if its nice and fast, it stays))

Back