• Register Today It's free!

Roof Capacity

Nate Tidwell

Reaction score
City, State
Marianna, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
I searched, didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I found the capacity for the factory roof racks/cross bars but not the roof rails/roof. Anyone know? Thinking about a RTT, but I'm not exactly the lightest person (265+lbs)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I searched, didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I found the capacity for the factory roof racks/cross bars but not the roof rails/roof. Anyone know? Thinking about a RTT, but I'm not exactly the lightest person (265+lbs)
100 lbs iirc moving idk static capacity i think even the roof was 100?

The roof isn’t suitable for that kind of weight. The roof doesn’t like me up there without a tent or gear.

The roof isn’t suitable for that kind of weight. The roof doesn’t like me up there without a tent or gear.
^^^^ i suppose one could add more to make it stronger, but the rail is only held by rivets iirc not much more, and roof is (imo) thin could use some more reinforcing even for 100

I know that two 1/2" sheets of plywood and 20 8' 2x4 broke my front cross bar on my 97 XLT
I know the crossbars are a bit weak, mine flex when I tug on them. I was considering removing them and the rails and figuring out something else if the roof could support what I was hoping to accomplish without a ton of extra reinforcement.

The actual mount rails ( front to rear) are actually pretty stout. If you construct 4 heavy cross bars and mount them with stainless steel t bolts to the rails, you'd be good for a roof rack or roof tent .

Sport being shorter might be different but you get the idea

The actual mount rails ( front to rear) are actually pretty stout. If you construct 4 heavy cross bars and mount them with stainless steel t bolts to the rails, you'd be good for a roof rack or roof tent .
Good to know, I might pull the rails anyway, just to put in some fresh hardware, even if nothing else comes of it.

@Nate Tidwell post 53 in thread I linked above is the good stuff.
Looks pretty good. I'd like to do something similar, again with some different hardware for aesthetics, like spacer nuts and some flush nuts.
What did you use for the studs?

Back