Roof/luggage Rack Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof/luggage Rack Removal

Has anyone removed their roof rack? I think I heard someone talking about how it provided a cleaner look in another forum somewhere on the site. I would take mine of just for the slight weight reduction and I would be much more eager to clean/wax the roof of my truck. I am wondering if you remove it, wont there be holes left from the mounting screws and what to do with said holes. Anyone have any insight? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could remove it and just tighten up the bolts in the holes, or you could bondo over them and paint. If you just tighten up the bolts, be sure to put a dab of silicone down to help keep it sealed well.

most people jsut remove the crossbars and leave the rails, you actually dont see them much... as for weight savings, its very negligible

I was thinking just take them off and put the screws back in with some silicone. Also, I know the weight reduction is not very much at all, but every little bit helps with gas prices. I know taking the running boards off was a major improvment. I was amazed at how heavy they really were!!

I was thinking just take them off and put the screws back in with some silicone. Also, I know the weight reduction is not very much at all, but every little bit helps with gas prices. I know taking the running boards off was a major improvment. I was amazed at how heavy they really were!!

I've done mileage tests with and without the crossbar pieces on my 93 Sport and noticed no change in mpg. What kind of mileage improvement did you get from removing the running boards?

I do not know for sure what the improvement was because at the time I did not test. But, each running board probably weighs atleast 50 pounds. And since I took them off and switched to synthetic oil I went from getting around 14 overall to around 20.

You can completely remove the rack-and use a "Chevy tahoe rack delete kit"

yes-chevy tahoe, get it at the dealership. It is a rubber strip-drill some counter sinks halfway through the strip, and it will sit flush on the roof, sealing the holes-
here is a picture with my rack completely deleted

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,485

I think I am going to remove the cross braces for now and see where I go from there. THanks for the input and nice truck jt

Do you think I can take the roof rack off of my girlfriends 2000 Mountaineer and put it on my 1996 4dr Explorer?

Hers design looks better than mine and I think I now want to remove hers completely.

Do you think I can take the roof rack off of my girlfriends 2000 Mountaineer and put it on my 1996 4dr Explorer?

Hers design looks better than mine and I think I now want to remove hers completely.
Yes

You can completely remove the rack-and use a "Chevy tahoe rack delete kit"

yes-chevy tahoe, get it at the dealership. It is a rubber strip-drill some counter sinks halfway through the strip, and it will sit flush on the roof, sealing the holes-
here is a picture with my rack completely deleted

IMG_0704.jpg

and there it is completely added :D

Now, you can put a different roof rack on, but the mounting holes will not line up, if you already have one there.
Measureone.jpg

If you look there, they do not sit in the slots on the roof like the ford ones, who knows why. However, yes, you can drill new holes and put it on. If there is a rack their already, you would have to remove that and cover/seal the holes.

Just wanted to clarify that they mounting holes do not line up, but it is possible.

Took the cross bars off last night at work. Looks pretty sweet. I think I will leave the side bars on though. But I do plan to take them off one saturday at work and give them a nice coat of gloss black spray. Make they look much nicer, they are pretty faded, but what do you expect when they are the highest point on the truck that gets the sun all the time haha.

I took my cross bars off and the side rails. I just put the screws back in and did not scillicon them since they are sealed any way. Scillicon would be pointless.

I DID however leave on the center strips since they are rivited on and that would neccisatate welding and body filler to remedy.

Back