Roof mount light bar, bumpers, and winch questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof mount light bar, bumpers, and winch questions

Arthur

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie
I have questions on a bunch of things because I am trying to make my X nice on the outside now that the inside is pretty cool. I have a list of things I would like on the explorer but parts are hard.

1.) Roof mount light bar... Where can I find one that will mount on my roof? Also I have the sunroof on my X so that makes it even more of a pain...

2.) Offroad bumpers... I know everyone is going to tell me custom is the only way to go. Well I don't have the materials to do my own metal fab so around how much would it cost for each of these things?
a.) Winch front bumper
b.) Rear bumper with a swinging spare holder

3.) I had this posted earlier but nobody answered the thread after a while... Will I be able to fit 31's on the factory wheels without a leveling kit on my 2wd?

Thankyou for your help it is much appriciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the roof mount light bar they dont make one specifically for ours. there was a thread while back, i think summit, jegs and a few others sold universal. i believe you could fab up something for the swinging tire holder from a jeep or bronco, as for the rest ive been searching for it myself.

i was able to put the 31's on my explorer with just adjusting the torsion bars just a little bit..all will fit on the factory wheels.. yes. as i had 31's on factory rims and even 33's

i was able to put the 31's on my explorer with just adjusting the torsion bars just a little bit..all will fit on the factory wheels.. yes. as i had 31's on factory rims and even 33's

Wait seriously you fit 33s on the factory rims without a lift? They rubbed like crazy didnt they?

no whatI meant was i had 31's and 33's on the factory rims,
for the 33's i did have some lift,

do you really like the look of lights on the roof?

only look good for a pick up with a roll bar.

oh ok... i was like "what the hell? 33's w/out a lift?"

fit 31's on my first gen with no lift. had to trim one splash shield, but my axle is skewed from a wreck, so you shouldn't have to. that is also the only light bar i've found, and i've looked quite a bit.

http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/bumpers_carriers.html

has a winch bumper, but it's 489. or you could put a front hitch on and get the winch plate, that runs at about 200 or so, but isn' as custom-looking.

I'm new to the site but I've noticed alot of the guys are removing their roof racks for esthetics. If you are considering this maybe you could just shorten the rails and keep one of the bars up front to mount your lights on.

I'm new to the site but I've noticed alot of the guys are removing their roof racks for esthetics. If you are considering this maybe you could just shorten the rails and keep one of the bars up front to mount your lights on.

HAD TO REMOVE MINE JUST TO GET IT IN TEH GARAGE. I WISH I WA ABLE TO KEEP IT ON CAUSE I LIKE THAT LOOK SO MUCH BETTER.

Attachments

• 1129061030a.jpg
    1129061030a.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,037

u could of just xtended the ceiling!!!!!!
(i am kidding) :)

Light bar:
Dead Link Removed
Bumper:
What Lost216 said
31's: (It's been beat up)
Dead Link Removed

Check out James Duff for bumpers.

As for roof-mounted lights: might not look great but they sure are functional.

Lights from above :)

For those who said it doesnt look as good i think differently. Any feedback to it?

Picture147.jpg

Picture148.jpg

Picture142.jpg

by the way that is woodstock from peanuts on the antenna :)

What about mounting lights on the cowl by the A-pillars like the J33ps have on the windsheild frame hinge?

Back