• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack high?

monkeypothrower

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Xlt
Alright so i got my roof rack on and everything. Its a surco and also i bought the ch100 kit that goes with it. My problem is i really dont like i it sits this high. Has anybody else had this problem, or found another way to mount it close to the roof. I can get pictures if they would help yall helping me. Thanks -TJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never seen the way these mount, so I can't help you much. With the Yakima bars I just got, I had planned on mounting the rack on there(whenever I get one). It has a small piece of metal that has a threaded hole in the middle. The piece of metal slides into the existing roof slider things. After seeing it, I was thinking about possibly using the piece of metal with the threaded holes so that I can drill(maybe) into the roof rack and screw the roof rack down into it. I'd have to mount it up first to see how it went, but it would REALLY sit close to the roof, which I like b/c of trees/branches/etc. Plus, it looks better when it is closer to the roof.

BTW, I have a Wilson Little Wil magnetic mount antenna that I plan to use with the roof rack. I am going to add a piece of metal onto the floor of the rack and put the antenna on that piece of metal. Just an idea, since I know you'll be going on the run @ Uwharrie and I don't know if you have a CB yet. Good luck :)

i have a surco and to save money on the mounting brackets I drilled holes in the factory explorer rack and bolted the surco to it. it looks good. i agree about them being to high with the mounting brackets. here is my cardomain site, the pics of the rack are on page 3.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/488018

it does sit kinda high...but it looks good though.

web search.....surco has released the "low profile rack" it has only 4" sidewalls and a lower profile mounting piece from what I can tell.

I agree - I used the OEM CH100 mounting brackets, and it is WAY up there. But, it allowed me to mount my lights below the top bar of the roof rack, so if I hit any parking garage ceilings, it scrapes the rack and doesn't bust the bulbs.

see here:

2893335s_finally_on_-_front.jpg

ill take it off your hands if you dont want it

haha no, i will be fine with it. i just installed the lights about 5 minutes ago on it. -TJ

Back