Roof Rack: How to remove the rails | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack: How to remove the rails

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
So anyhow, the whistle from the cross rails on the roof rack, well it's pain. How do I get those rails out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its been years since I removed mine, but if memory isn't failing me, one just removes the screws and slides the cross bars off.

Good luck ....

Hi -

I'm new here, but I can answer your question. The cross bars can be removed by removing one of the end caps on each of the stationary bars. I have found the rear caps easiest to deal with. A word of caution, however, when removing the end caps....there is a small, yellow fastener that is under each end cap. These yellow fasteners (sort of look like small x-mas trees) are what hold the end cap on. In the process of pulling up the end cap you can VERY EASILY damage the yellow fastener as they are made of thin plastic and are really only good for a one-time use....installation at the factory. You will find that the components molded into the underneath of the end cap are also very weak in structure, and that by tugging on the cap to remove it, the plastic tabs can also easily break off. This will leave you unable to re-attach the end cap.

I can share this info. from a personal level as my '05 came without the crossbars. I ordered the crossbars from the dealership and experienced the problems that I spoke of above. Had to order a brand new endcap as one of them was beyond usage. Just be careful......

I have a '04 and was thinking about doing the same thing...
I haven't removed the bars yet but, I was looking...

On the inside of the rear support pieces for the stationary bars there is a small removable piece about 2"x2" at the end of the slot for the crossbars. There is a latch on the forward end of this piece (kind of like the battery compartment on your TV remote control). If you pull this tab to the rear the piece comes out exposing the open end of the stationary bar.

Like I said I haven't done it yet, but that's where I'm going to start.

good luck.

One more thought on this...

If it's just the noise that bothers you you could try moving the crossbars.
I have one at the rear and one in the middle and I don't notice any noise.
But with all the rattles I've got I probable wouldn't notice it anyway!

Just a thought.

Back