Roof Rack Light Bar (Pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack Light Bar (Pics)

My latest mod to my Explorer.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

All lit up

ExplorerNight.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes for this project I was lazy and ordered LEDs with the resistors and pigtails already soldered on. The silicone will seal the holes.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

hahah same here that what i did..... i got 20 pre wired leds shipped for $11 (25mcd) or i could of got 50 leds for $6.30 and spent hrs more on doing the mod.

heres mine (tied into parking lights)
xbe93s.jpg

zugjnn.jpg

14xmref.jpg

Heres the problem though had these lights on for a few minutes to take the pics, and the suddenly turned off (all the leds) at first i thought the + and - may have touched even though i checked them all 3 times for that.
But i pulled it outside (night time) and the leds were barely lighting up, only could see them wehn its dark out

They were set up for 12 volts right ?

Funny how the LEDs dimmed after being on for a while, could be the way you hooked up the power.

I assume they are hooked up off of the Parking light circuit ?

Did you wire them in series or parallel ?

Have you tried 12 volts directly to the LEDs since they dimmed ?

Sorta sounds like a ground problem. But I know little about LEDs. Seems like a wiring trace is in your future.
Good luck with it...Hope its an easy one.

By the way, the lights look good!

theirs a total of 15 leds i think, the ground is a screw thats in the roof, i dont think its a good ground but i worked with a basic tester light and the lights worked for 1 minute or 2 ............ you think the gound could be the problem?

I would string out a couple of wires from the battery + & - sides and attach
them to the lights themselves and see if they dim. If they do dim just keep disconnecting each light untill they come back bright. I dont know of any other way....

Yea i would say that the problem is with your ground. I have mine grounded into the left rear parking light's ground.

Bill is right on the money :thumbsup: Whenever you suspect a power or ground issue you should run wires directly from the battery to whatever your testing. This will help eliminate the existing wiring as a problem.

I would string out a couple of wires from the battery + & - sides and attach
them to the lights themselves and see if they dim. If they do dim just keep disconnecting each light untill they come back bright. I dont know of any other way....

Hay..Glad you found the problem, Its a good looking mod.

MustangP51..What kind of bulbs do you have in your turn signals? Are they really that yellow or is it just the pic. Been looking for that color.....

I have these LEDs in my corners

img.jpg

They looked yellow in the stock housings (exactly like the pic), but when I went to clear corners it looks more orange.

On eBay search "(Bulb type) amber SMT LEDs"

They are pretty much the same, Its a little harder to see the turn signal when the lights are also on, and you will need to switch to an electronic flasher relay.

and they're is no write-up!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:d:d:d:d

Haha no they are just plug and play LEDs. They plug into the sockets and your done.

Back