• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack Removal

Lavelle Barker

Reaction score
City, State
Wellington, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, Mountaineer Luxury
We have tried, in vain, to stop the roof rack on our 2006 Mountaineer from leaking. The last good rain we had ended up soaking the entire headliner from the middle seatbelt posts outward, so it finally made its way to the body shop. The body shop gave us an estimate of $500 just to remove the rack and fill the holes with silicone. Has anyone done this themselves? How much of a task was it? What kind of silicone did you use? I can't see paying that much if its something we can do ourselves. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably not your roof rack leaking. In my experience, most leaks come from sun roof drains being plugged up or from leaking seal on front windshield or seals around doors.

It's probably not your roof rack leaking. In my experience, most leaks come from sun roof drains being plugged up or from leaking seal on front windshield or seals around doors.
We're 99% sure its the roof rack. For a couple reasons. The leaking starts at the top of the seatbelt posts in the middle row and spreads out from there. We attempted to correct the problem ourselves by taking the rack off and applying silicone to all the threads and bolt holes. Before we did this the leak was not nearly as bad. Its actually not near the door jambs (or it wasn't before the repair) or the windshield, or the sunroof. The body shop also agreed that it was coming from the roof rack.

No problem with me, but on the three different Explorers I worked on they all leaked into the inside roof panel and came out no where near where the problem was, the sunroof vents and or the windshield. In your case I still think it is either your sunroof or drain vents, but let us know how it works out.

No problem with me, but on the three different Explorers I worked on they all leaked into the inside roof panel and came out no where near where the problem was, the sunroof vents and or the windshield. In your case I still think it is either your sunroof or drain vents, but let us know how it works out.
We will definitely check the drain lines on the sunroof. How would I be able to tell if the windshield is leaking? Preferably without having to pull the headliner?

Update: So I ran water down all of the sunroof drain lines. All appear to be draining properly except for the drivers side rear drain. The first time we noticed a leak it was on the passenger side middle row seatbelt. Could it have been caused by this drain line? How likely? Also, I could not see the rear drain lines, how do you access them to even figure out if its blocked or damaged?

I have leaks in two of my trucks also. Once you have tried to narrow down where it's coming from, dropping the headliner out is the next step. That's the longest labor thing, that shop is wanting a lot to remove the interior trim pieces to get it out. You can do that, it's just tedious to remove the many trim pieces that are below the headliner.

There are four drain hoses, which all go down a pillar, two in the "A" pillars, and two in the "B" pillars. The leaks are usually right where the hoses attach to the plastic barbs of the sunroof outlets. They don't have hose clamps on them, and old age or a little tug will dislodge them.

If yours is the roof racks, it would be best to seal the holes with the headliner down. Then you can get to the underside also, or R&R the many rivets of the shallow slats, for those models. Use RTV, never silicone(which hardens in the weather and comes apart).

Back