• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack vs Gas Mileage

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
I know some people on here have removed their roof racks in an effort to improve gas mileage. Anyone know how much that helps? I know aerodynamics are pretty important for highway mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pulled it off my Expedition with no change othe than sound. Maby different on the x's.

It all depends, but I don't think it would help much. Your pushing something with the aerodynamics of a cereal box through the air. The rack isn't going to mean too much, especially at speeds approaching 70 MPH.

By all means remove it for best gas mileage.

Good luck ....

By all means remove it for best gas mileage.

Good luck ....

I rarely use the rack but I kind of like the way it looks and having it there in case I do need it. If it were going to gain me a couple miles per gallon though it would be gone. Do you know how much it helped you?

You are not going to get a couple miles per gallon solely by removing the low profile stock cross bars. Now if it’s a Thule basket or something with a fairing, then maybe 1 mpg on an Explorer. As mentioned above, you are pushing a big block through the air; a little bar isn't going to make much of a difference.

Now for example of a roof rack really effecting MPG's. If I run my Passat around with my Thule rack and fairing on, I see a consistent 1-3 MPG drop compared to with it off. And a good 4-5 mpg with the bikes on. But the Passat is much more aerodynamic to begin with, and drag created will have a greater effect.

Tom

The main reason I removed mine is for sound. I have a sunroof and you can hear the air flow due to the roof rack. It is now about 50% quiter.

i took mine off for the summer when i don't need the yakimas up there. aside from looking a lil sleeker and being easier to detail im not sure i notice a difference

How hard is it to take off? Reinstall?

I added a roof rack, off road lights, and a spare tire and it's killing my gas mileage.

I didn't believe it till I checked it more than twice, but I've gained a consistent 0.5 MPG by removing my bugshield. I didn't do it solely for the gas mileage...Some jackass broke it, and it looked terrible, so I pulled it off, and haven't replaced it with a new one yet. It was only after I removed it that I noticed just slightly better MPG numbers, so I kept it off and checked it over about 4 tankfuls now, and it's staying consistent.

I still like the function and look of the low profile bugshields, so I'll eventually put one back on. 0.5 MPG is a small price to pay to keep stone chips off the paint.

Back