Roof rack weight limit - can't handle two kayaks due to moonroof? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack weight limit - can't handle two kayaks due to moonroof?

D

Deleted member 348855

Looking for some input from anyone who has attempted this on either the 2020 or previous models with the moonroof... I have 2 kayaks that I'd like to get crossbars and mounts for. However according to the manual the maximum recommended load with a moonroof is only 75 lbs. The combined weight of the kayaks are 105 lbs not including mounting hardware. Has anyone exceeded the 75 lb rating with no issues? I know, it is a loaded question but worth asking :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not; however, I would consider placing the kayaks on a trailer before exceeding the maximum weight limit of 75 pounds set by the manufacturer. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

I believe that the weight limit is due to its effect on the stability of the vehicle and not the strength of the roof.

Peter

I believe that the weight limit is due to its effect on the stability of the vehicle and not the strength of the roof.

Peter

My wife constantly tells me I drive to slow, probably a safe bet that I won't run into any stability issues :)

Peter
But the manual says you can put up 165 lbs with no moonroof....

That's because the extra weight of the moonroof is removed.

Peter

Not wanting to make assumptions but if this is more of a stability issue while driving than an actual strength of the roof... If I am driving on pretty much flat roadways, and not taking corners at 60mph, it's probably safe to exceed the 75 lbs by 40 lbs give or take. If the answer is a definitive "Hard NO" I'll have to cancel my ST order and place a new order without the moonroof. Not being able to haul the kayaks on top of the ST will be a show stopper. No chance on getting my wife to tow a kayak trailer due.

So not that you should follow my advice. But i have(had) the 16 explorer with glass roof and stock crossbars. I have the Thule 1600 box and regularly pack it to the gills and drive 80 on the highway. Never had an issue.

Not wanting to make assumptions but if this is more of a stability issue while driving than an actual strength of the roof... If I am driving on pretty much flat roadways, and not taking corners at 60mph, it's probably safe to exceed the 75 lbs by 40 lbs give or take. If the answer is a definitive "Hard NO" I'll have to cancel my ST order and place a new order without the moonroof. Not being able to haul the kayaks on top of the ST will be a show stopper. No chance on getting my wife to tow a kayak trailer due.
I would think that you would be safe. I think this likely has to do with the old Ford/Firestone rollover issue. Ford Explorer Rollover
The weight restrictions on the 5th gen were actually lower.

Peter

I would think that you would be safe. I think this likely has to do with the old Ford/Firestone rollover issue. Ford Explorer Rollover
The weight restrictions on the 5th gen were actually lower.

Peter

Anyone have any recent experience putting more than 75lbs on the roof? I'd like to buy a roof basket but all in I'm looking at about 70lbs or so just in basket and cross bars so would be worthless if 75lbs is the actual max. My recent trade of a 2019 Grand Cherokee trailhawk (w/dual pane moonroof) had a 150lb capacity. After 150lbs, the nutserts holding the factory rails would actually pull out of the roof leaving you totally F'd. I cant imagine that would happen on the 2020+ explorer at 75lbs but would like to confirm others experience.

That's because the extra weight of the moonroof is removed.

Peter
Not just weight, the hole for the moonroof reduces the strength of the roof and resistance to twisting under load.

If you tweak the moonroof opening by twisting the body you will get a hard-to-fix leak.

Not just weight, the hole for the moonroof reduces the strength of the roof and resistance to twisting under load.

The load is not actually carried by the roof but by the roof rails which are on the outer edges of the roof structure.
"The most obvious scenario associated with sunroof safety would be if a car is rolled. But, there's no need to worry. ... With this in mind, a sunroof has no tangible effect on the structural rigidity or strength of a car, even during a rollover."

Peter

Anyone have any recent experience putting more than 75lbs on the roof? I'd like to buy a roof basket but all in I'm looking at about 70lbs or so just in basket and cross bars so would be worthless if 75lbs is the actual max. My recent trade of a 2019 Grand Cherokee trailhawk (w/dual pane moonroof) had a 150lb capacity. After 150lbs, the nutserts holding the factory rails would actually pull out of the roof leaving you totally F'd. I cant imagine that would happen on the 2020+ explorer at 75lbs but would like to confirm others experience.
I will tell you what I did. I added Rhino Rack crossbars and the feet kit on my 2018. I put 2 kayaks on top with J bars. I have the panoramic moonroof.

Had no issues. Maybe 80 pounds or so.

We had the same problem we had 2 up on our older version without the moon roof but then i saw the low limit in the manual and was worried about it. so i talked to my dealer who is a good guy and dosnt BS me, he said if your just in town at 40MPH not a big deal but if your in the highway doing 70 its alot of weight when you add the wind ect hitting them. so we divided to play it safe and got a trailer (highly recommend the Malone brand ones).

Looking for some input from anyone who has attempted this on either the 2020 or previous models with the moonroof... I have 2 kayaks that I'd like to get crossbars and mounts for. However according to the manual the maximum recommended load with a moonroof is only 75 lbs. The combined weight of the kayaks are 105 lbs not including mounting hardware. Has anyone exceeded the 75 lb rating with no issues? I know, it is a loaded question but worth asking :)

I have a 2020 XLT with moonroof and recently purchased a Thule crossbar system that mounts to my stock vertical roof rails. My main purpose for buying them was because I also purchased a Thule Force XT cargo box in size L. I never even checked the manual before I popped all that on my roof and I packed that box to the gills and drove 3.5hrs thru NYC to the Jersey Shore last weekend. Drove upwards of 80mph in areas and never had a problem at all…thankfully. Kind of shocked to read about this weight limit. Frankly, feel pretty stoooopid for not checking the car’s manual. Likely though…I’ll load it up many times in the future on trips. Crossing fingers…

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Like I mentioned a few times before, I believe the weight limit is likely linked to vehicle stability rather than the roof's ability to carry that weight.
When the vehicle becomes 'top heavy', the stability, particularly when cornering, is affected.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Like I mentioned a few times before, I believe the weight limit is likely linked to vehicle stability rather than the roof's ability to carry that weight.
When the vehicle becomes 'top heavy', the stability, particularly when cornering, is affected.

Peter
I appreciate the insight and I don’t disagree…the logic makes sense. Just wanted to pop my experiences on the subject matter into this thread for the benefit of its readers

I can't imagine 105 lbs. on your roof rack with kayaks would ever do any damage. Perhaps I'm wrong but holy hell. It's only 100lbs. I would strap those babies up there and enjoy yourself to the max!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't imagine 105 lbs. on your roof rack with kayaks would ever do any damage. Perhaps I'm wrong but holy hell. It's only 100lbs. I would strap those babies up there and enjoy yourself to the max!!
see post #17

Back