• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Roof rack weight limit - can't handle two kayaks due to moonroof?

Adrenlin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Looking for some input from anyone who has attempted this on either the 2020 or previous models with the moonroof... I have 2 kayaks that I'd like to get crossbars and mounts for. However according to the manual the maximum recommended load with a moonroof is only 75 lbs. The combined weight of the kayaks are 105 lbs not including mounting hardware. Has anyone exceeded the 75 lb rating with no issues? I know, it is a loaded question but worth asking :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rossi6998

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Whittier, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I have not; however, I would consider placing the kayaks on a trailer before exceeding the maximum weight limit of 75 pounds set by the manufacturer. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
I believe that the weight limit is due to its effect on the stability of the vehicle and not the strength of the roof.

Peter

Adrenlin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I believe that the weight limit is due to its effect on the stability of the vehicle and not the strength of the roof.

Peter
My wife constantly tells me I drive to slow, probably a safe bet that I won't run into any stability issues :)

Teledatageek

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Raptor SCAB

Peter
But the manual says you can put up 165 lbs with no moonroof....

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3

Teledatageek

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Raptor SCAB

Adrenlin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
That's because the extra weight of the moonroof is removed.

Peter
Not wanting to make assumptions but if this is more of a stability issue while driving than an actual strength of the roof... If I am driving on pretty much flat roadways, and not taking corners at 60mph, it's probably safe to exceed the 75 lbs by 40 lbs give or take. If the answer is a definitive "Hard NO" I'll have to cancel my ST order and place a new order without the moonroof. Not being able to haul the kayaks on top of the ST will be a show stopper. No chance on getting my wife to tow a kayak trailer due.

mikegrad77

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST Atlas Blue
So not that you should follow my advice. But i have(had) the 16 explorer with glass roof and stock crossbars. I have the Thule 1600 box and regularly pack it to the gills and drive 80 on the highway. Never had an issue.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Not wanting to make assumptions but if this is more of a stability issue while driving than an actual strength of the roof... If I am driving on pretty much flat roadways, and not taking corners at 60mph, it's probably safe to exceed the 75 lbs by 40 lbs give or take. If the answer is a definitive "Hard NO" I'll have to cancel my ST order and place a new order without the moonroof. Not being able to haul the kayaks on top of the ST will be a show stopper. No chance on getting my wife to tow a kayak trailer due.
I would think that you would be safe. I think this likely has to do with the old Ford/Firestone rollover issue. Ford Explorer Rollover
The weight restrictions on the 5th gen were actually lower.

Peter