Roof rack weight limit - can't handle two kayaks due to moonroof? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack weight limit - can't handle two kayaks due to moonroof?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. Do you think an extra 100lbs on your roof is going to make you top heavy? Are you driving a road course before you get to unload your kayaks? Cmon now. All will be fine.

Ford is likely just being cautious. Remember that the load weight increases with speed and a couple of kayaks up there, depending on how they were mounted, could catch a fair bit of wind as well.

Peter

Ford is likely just being cautious. Remember that the load weight increases with speed and a couple of kayaks up there, depending on how they were mounted, could catch a fair bit of wind as well.

Peter
I totally agree with you on the wind part, but still..... you know?

I found these images in the Ford Emergency Response Guide for Explorer and Aviator Hybrids that show the roof structural elements for the regular and moon roof versions.
1635211358769.png

1635211336068.png

I've recently purchased a new ST and fitting the family of 6 with luggage is somewhat cramped. I see with the sunroof your limited to like 75 lbs on the roof. I'd need to buy the cross bars and I've been looking at some of the low profile boxes but not sure if it's worth it for the weight limit. Anyone go down this route?

If you have some lighter weight bulky items to put in it, it may work for you.

I've recently purchased a new ST and fitting the family of 6 with luggage is somewhat cramped. I see with the sunroof your limited to like 75 lbs on the roof. I'd need to buy the cross bars and I've been looking at some of the low profile boxes but not sure if it's worth it for the weight limit. Anyone go down this route?
Your thread was merged with this existing one. As you can see, there are some posts discussing this problem. As I've mentioned here, the limit is probably more of an issue with stability as I believe the vehicle's structure is supposed to be able to support the weight of the vehicle in case of a rollover.
If you do a 'Search' on "Cargo Boxes" in the 5th gen forum you will find several threads on those.

Peter

Back