• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack

Ammo2fm

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport
I am going to build a cargo basket for the top of my 03 ST I have the side rails but no crossmembers what are you'all using I dont want factory. I need the proper length. I am away from my truck and at a remote site so I can on search online. thanks Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swapping out roof racks...

I'm probably no help in this case, but I'm going to ditch the factory for a Gobiracks cargo carrier (the Ford model they say is ready, but not on the website. It covers the length of Ex, it's not one of those small deals. To each his own, though... Good luck on your project...:salute:

several companies will custom make a rack to your tailoring and you can actually get them to mount using the factory rails

I have built a few in my time they are actually pretty simple to build I just am looking for the right crossbars will explorer factory bars fit?

Doesn't appear to

I have built a few in my time they are actually pretty simple to build I just am looking for the right crossbars will explorer factory bars fit?

I just peeked at mine and they are arched... my neighbor's Sport is out there, he has no crossbars, but the supporting bars don't appear to accommodate the same fit as the xlt. They look very different... the oem part numbers are different too (from a website that sells Ford crossbars) Strange enough, they sell a cross bar that fits both vehicles... good luck with your project!

I am going to build a cargo basket for the top of my 03 ST I have the side rails but no crossmembers what are you'all using I dont want factory. I need the proper length. I am away from my truck and at a remote site so I can on search online. thanks Mike

I use Thule racks. I've had the 50" crossbars for 20 years and each time I get a new vehicle, I just get new feet adapters. They make a foot that clamps directly on the side rails, and you can lock them on. The same exact feet also fit my Freestyle side rails, so I'm set.:D

I there anyway you can get me the numbers for the feet that bolt right on? The bars are just normal 50 inch correct?

That link at the bottom shows the feet, but since I don't know which is which, check it out... just copy, cut n paste the second line, and it should take you directly to the part you're looking for...

www.orsracksdirect.com

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule...ponents.html?gclid=COj4hPzVv48CFSI4YAodsAwBlQ

I there anyway you can get me the numbers for the feet that bolt right on? The bars are just normal 50 inch correct?

The feet I have don't bolt on, they clamp on and off. You can secure them with locks. They are the 450 Crossroad with a 50" loadbar. The 50 " is barely long enough and because I already have them, that's what I would use. But the 58" bars would fit better and would be what I would order if I didn't already have mine.

The feet I have don't bolt on, they clamp on and off. You can secure them with locks. They are the 450 Crossroad with a 50" loadbar. The 50 " is barely long enough and because I already have them, that's what I would use. But the 58" bars would fit better and would be what I would order if I didn't already have mine.

I've been trying to find that info everywhere, thanks man :thumbsup: !

Tom

I bought some off of e-bay for like 40 bucks and they are lockable and fit well.

I mounted my yakima megawarrior directly to the side rails using the mounting feet they provide for crossbars, and drilled the plastic rail.
Yes the rails are 'sloped' but you just need to raise the rack a little to make it work. Using crossbars for mine would have had it sitting 2-3" higher than it does right now.

brian,
Do you have pics of your rack install? I have mine mounted using the ford crossbars and it does sit very high.

Chad

I'll try to get pictures soon. I work all day tomorrow without a break. If I get time before work I'll take a couple pictures really quick and post them. Otherwise, maybe saturday.
I bought about $10 of hardware to mount it, and only used about half.
Just 8 2" long bolts with big washers and nylocks.

Ammo, I have 2 new Surco crossmembers sitting in my room gathering dust. I think they are 48", you would need the mounting harware to mount them to your rails though.

A few pictures of how I mounted the megawarrior. Pretty strait-forward. Just used 8 - 1/4" x 2" bolts, 8 nylocks, and 16 washers. Setup, measured, drilled...

yak7.jpg

yak8.jpg

yak9.jpg

yak1.jpg

yak6.jpg

Sits pretty low, the front is about an inch from the roof, the rear is a little higher. Best I could do without making my own mounts, but this was so easy. :D

Clean!

I'll try to get pictures soon. I work all day tomorrow without a break. If I get time before work I'll take a couple pictures really quick and post them. Otherwise, maybe saturday.
I bought about $10 of hardware to mount it, and only used about half.
Just 8 2" long bolts with big washers and nylocks.

The entire vehicle is clean with perfectly matched components! That is what you call a good use of creativity, not overdone and a flawless machine! The carrier looks like a natural part of the vehicle, like if it weren't there you would wonder, "Why did they take it off?", you know? Dang good job! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The entire vehicle is clean with perfectly matched components! That is what you call a good use of creativity, not overdone and a flawless machine! The carrier looks like a natural part of the vehicle, like if it weren't there you would wonder, "Why did they take it off?", you know? Dang good job! :salute:

Thanks man!
I spend entirely too much time thinking about how stuff will look before I buy it.
I have 4 - 7" round lights I want to mount in front of the rack (as low as possible) but I kind of think it might "over do it".

Back