Roof Radio Antenna Too Tall to Get Car in Garage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Radio Antenna Too Tall to Get Car in Garage

Grace C

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limite
Yesterday I traded in my 2007 Explorer Limited and bought a 2013 Explorer Limited. My house was built before larger vehicles were the norm and bigger garages became standare on new builds. I looked up the measurements of the 2007 because it fit perfectly. Th 2013 is a few inches longer, 5 inches wider and 3 inches lower. All worked out great until I tried to get the car in the garage. The antenna for the radio is on roof in the back near the spoiler. It's too high by about 2 inches to clear the top of the door frame. Does anyone know if Ford sells a shorter antenna that I can replace this one with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yesterday I traded in my 2007 Explorer Limited and bought a 2013 Explorer Limited. My house was built before larger vehicles were the norm and bigger garages became standare on new builds. I looked up the measurements of the 2007 because it fit perfectly. Th 2013 is a few inches longer, 5 inches wider and 3 inches lower. All worked out great until I tried to get the car in the garage. The antenna for the radio is on roof in the back near the spoiler. It's too high by about 2 inches to clear the top of the door frame. Does anyone know if Ford sells a shorter antenna that I can replace this one with?
Welcome to the Forum. I'd suggest looking at the 'Shark Fin' antenna. That is what the 2016 Explorer now uses.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397592&highlight=shark+fin
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389049&highlight=shark+fin
I had the same issue with my 2011 but was able to adjust the door motor to so that it pulled the door back a little further so the antenna cleared the lip of the door.

Peter

Shorter antennas are widely available. Google for "Ford Explorer shorty antenna." They can be found at Amazon and eBay. Easily changed out.

Shorter antennas are widely available. Google for "Ford Explorer shorty antenna." They can be found at Amazon and eBay. Easily changed out.

This would be the easiest change vs. the shark fin (thou not that difficult)

Thanks everyone! The 2007 Explorer had the worst antenna. Ford said everyone complained about it but there wasn't anything they could do so we lived with crummy reception for years. The antenna that came with the 2013 is great...just too long. Whether I go with a Shark Fin or a shorter "stubby" antenna, can you tell me which brands are really good. I don't want to lose reception quality. I'd like a top of the line antenna so we get the best reception.

Thanks everyone! The 2007 Explorer had the worst antenna. Ford said everyone complained about it but there wasn't anything they could do so we lived with crummy reception for years. The antenna that came with the 2013 is great...just too long. Whether I go with a Shark Fin or a shorter "stubby" antenna, can you tell me which brands are really good. I don't want to lose reception quality. I'd like a top of the line antenna so we get the best reception.

Its only for AM/FM/HD radio, its nothing more than a rod with insulation & a connector.
Anything with decent ratings and build quality will do.

The OEM is a 10" mast, which is way long for such a tall car.
Its shared among a handful of Ford SUV's and sedans.

Basically if you look at cars stopped in traffic, they all have the antennae almost at or above the general roof line of the entire road population.
Its to get the antennae up above the sea of metal roofs to open air for signal.

Overkill if you ask me, but in hilly or rural areas AM/FM reception can be spotty no matter what.

In the city any shorty will work but 8" down to 4" or so is fine.

Sharkfin is fine and its only a nice, painted to match plastic cap, the 'antennae' is just a special signal antennae sticker that is on the inside of it, and a tiny wire attaches that to the base module attachment cable.

It looks like a copper circuit xmas tree(sticker), about 3" or 4" long. They used to sell the same for cell phones back in the day, about 1" or 2" long and made to stick on inside the back cover.
Dont spend more than necessary if you are getting a shorty.

Back