Roof Rust Spot Repair, Advice Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rust Spot Repair, Advice Please

pzy3339

Reaction score
City, State
columbus ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, 4x4 Limited 4.6
Hey folks, I have a few small rust spots starting and I could use some advice on how to deal with them.

I am hoping some of you guys with a few more years of experience may have been through this and have some good methods that last.

Right now I have a few small rust spots starting on my roof. Seeing as this will get harder and harder to repair as it gets worse, and could potentially lead to a leaking roof situation possibly damaging the interior, I want to fix it ASAP.

What is the best course of action here?

I am thinking take a Dremmel with a grinding wheel on it and take each spot down to bare metal. After that I don't know. I have little experience with body work, and past jobs have not held up well. What do I need to do to prep the metal, paint, clear coat, etc to have any hopes of not seeing these spots return?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

pzy

On my suv i used a dremel with sanding disc down to bare metal then used a primer sealer and then paint to match then clear coated .

If you grind it down to bare metal, you may want to look at the pros and cons of etching primer vs. epoxy primer on the Internet. Both have their strong and weak points. If it were me, I'd use an epoxy primer, especially if you live in an area that uses salt in the winter or live next to the ocean/salt lakes.

Be sure to use progressively finer sandpaper for a smooth finish and mask the area well. Even though it's the roof and not easily noticeable, use a feathering technique with the paint and clear coat to minimize lines. If you have an air brush, thin the paint real well and use that on small areas. Blending will be a lot smoother.

Berny

If you grind it down to bare metal, you may want to look at the pros and cons of etching primer vs. epoxy primer on the Internet. Both have their strong and weak points. If it were me, I'd use an epoxy primer, especially if you live in an area that uses salt in the winter or live next to the ocean/salt lakes.

Be sure to use progressively finer sandpaper for a smooth finish and mask the area well. Even though it's the roof and not easily noticeable, use a feathering technique with the paint and clear coat to minimize lines. If you have an air brush, thin the paint real well and use that on small areas. Blending will be a lot smoother.

Berny

I live in Ohio, so yes, salt baths are common. I will look into that, thanks. As for the air brush, I do not have one, but that might be worth the investment.

My main concern is to ensure this spot is not likely to begin rusting again next winter. Our roads are white with salt about 4 months a year.

Back