Roof top Tent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof top Tent

2014XLTDave

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer XLT
I have the smittybilt Roof Top Tent I use on my Jeep. I'm wondering if I can continue to use it with my 2014 explorer? The roof Tent weights in at just over 100 pounds during transport. Then once parked the Tent unfolds and sleeps 2 adults along with gear totaling around 400 pounds. I would be using Thule cross bars on the factory roof rails.

I also have the dual pane sunroof if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maximum weight on the roof cross bars is 45lbs with the moonroof if I recall. so no, you can not use it.

Maximum weight on the roof cross bars is 45lbs with the moonroof if I recall. so no, you can not use it.

Thank you for this info!

Do you know how I could find more details on max weights? I flipped through the manual and did a search on the ford website, but turned up empty.

I Jeep Patriot max weight on the cross bars was only 60 pounds too but that was the dynamic weight capacity, not only did it hold the 100 pound roof Tent without issue while driving, but the Jeep cross rails held about 400-500 pounds of static weight once stopped.

I know there are "max" weights from ford as a CYA measure, im wondering if there are any real world experience with carrying more weight without issue. Thanks!

Thank you for this info!

Do you know how I could find more details on max weights? I flipped through the manual and did a search on the ford website, but turned up empty.

I Jeep Patriot max weight on the cross bars was only 60 pounds too but that was the dynamic weight capacity, not only did it hold the 100 pound roof Tent without issue while driving, but the Jeep cross rails held about 400-500 pounds of static weight once stopped.

I know there are "max" weights from ford as a CYA measure, im wondering if there are any real world experience with carrying more weight without issue. Thanks!
Page 269 in your Owner's Manual.

Peter

Ford sells lots of products for rooftop carrying but doesn't list a weight restriction for any of them...

My GUESS is that the roll-over fiasco of the '90's is still a significant consideration in anything at Ford and they do not want to risk any roll-over situation. My GUESS is that the weight limit is to prevent roll-over rather than a structural issue in a static vehicle.

Okay, I tested it. I weigh ~185 pounds and just climbed the side of the Explorer, supporting myself with both hands between the rear two supports of one rail and bouncing while trying to keep the rest of body off the vehicle. There was no detectable flex or any indication I was damaging, even stressing, anything.

Ford sells lots of products for rooftop carrying but doesn't list a weight restriction for any of them...

My GUESS is that the roll-over fiasco of the '90's is still a significant consideration in anything at Ford and they do not want to risk any roll-over situation. My GUESS is that the weight limit is to prevent roll-over rather than a structural issue in a static vehicle.

Okay, I tested it. I weigh ~185 pounds and just climbed the side of the Explorer, supporting myself with both hands between the rear two supports of one rail and bouncing while trying to keep the rest of body off the vehicle. There was no detectable flex or any indication I was damaging, even stressing, anything.

Thank you for the info. I may do a test with the roof Tent once my cross bars come In. I'll do a little driving and see what the roof does with a 100 pound dynamic load while driving. I really don't see why this explore couldn't do it, if a Jeep patriot with smaller OEM roof rails can.

Though your experience probably covers this, here is the info Peter referenced:
"ROOF RACKS AND LOAD CARRIERS (IF EQUIPPED) WARNING: When loading the roof racks, we recommend you evenly distribute the load, as well as maintain a low center of gravity. Loaded vehicles, with higher centers of gravity, may handle differently than unloaded vehicles. Take extra precautions, such as slower speeds and increased stopping distance, when driving a heavily loaded vehicle. Note: The maximum recommended load, evenly distributed on the crossbars, is 100 pounds (45 kilograms). Note: Never place loads directly on the roof panel. The roof panel is not designed to directly carry a load. Load Carrying 269 2014 Explorer (exp) Owners Guide gf, 3rd Printing, September 2013 USA (fus) For correct roof rack system function, you must place loads directly on crossbars affixed to the roof rack side rails. We recommend you use Ford Genuine Accessory crossbars designed specifically for your vehicle. Make sure that you securely fasten the load. Check the tightness of the load before driving and at each fuel stop. Adjusting the Crossbars (If Equipped) Note: Wind noise can be minimized by either removing or repositioning the crossbars when they are not is use. Position the rear crossbar fully rearward and the front crossbar 10 inches (25 centimeters) from the front end-cap. 1. Loosen the tie-down hooks at both sides of the crossbar by turning them counterclockwise. A small screwdriver or similar tool can be used to break the torque by inserting the shaft into the tie-down hook and twisting. 2. Slide the crossbar to the desired position. This may require someone on each side of the crossbar. 3. Tighten the tie-down hooks at both sides of the crossbar by turning them clockwise until tight. A small screwdriver or similar tool can be used to tighten the hook an additional half turn. Make sure to check that the tie-down hooks are tight each time a load is added or removed from the roof rack, and periodically while traveling. Make sure that the load is secure before traveling."

That tent looks nice, and looks like it is completely clear of the roof surface so I doubt the sunroof matters. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, and my advice is only my opinion so don't take it as legal counsel, all that typical language saying I am NOT AN EXPERT! The roof structure is designed to withstand roll-over/roof crushing forces regardless of the presence of a sun roof. The roof rack should tie directly to that support structure, not the flimsy roof skin, and should therefore support significant loads. That's what I think ,anyway. Rovers have had open roofs and Jeeps have soft tops, both have had countless people sleeping on top of them... The manufacturer even shows it on soft-top vehicles...

Something else you may like, btw: http://pronghorngear.com/linktrac/

Cheers

That dynamic loading is the real kicker. Be careful out there as that will definitely alter vehicle handling. Anything that far above the wheel base is acting on a long lever to tip the vehicle.

"Slow down, enjoy the ride."

Page 269 in my 2014 manual is "driving aids." And "parking sensor info."
What print edition do you have? I quoted from the 3rd printing.
ROOF RACKS AND LOAD CARRIERS (IF EQUIPPED)
Note: The maximum recommended load, evenly distributed on the
crossbars, is 100 pounds (45 kilograms).
Note: Never place loads directly on the roof panel. The roof panel is not
designed to directly carry a load.

Peter

Thank you all for the help!

The jeep patriot roof rails were only rated for 100 pounds too, but again I think that's a manufacture CYA rating and not a true load carrying rating. I know 100% that I have put about 600 pounds as a static load in that roof tent without any roof Deformation or issue. I'll have to test it out, I guess my only concern though is crashing through the moon roof in the middle of the night because the explore couldn't support the weight. Ha ha.

The jeep patriot roof rails were only rated for 100 pounds too, but again I think that's a manufacture CYA rating and not a true load carrying rating. I know 100% that I have put about 600 pounds as a static load in that roof tent without any roof Deformation or issue. I'll have to test it out, I guess my only concern though is crashing through the moon roof in the middle of the night because the explore couldn't support the weight. Ha ha.
I think the weight limitations are more for when actually driving and related to center of gravity. Good luck.

Peter

Recommended rooftop tents for 2013 Explorer XLT?

I have a 2013 XLT and am looking for a rooftop tent. Cross bars I have are rated for about 100 pounds each, and they’re OEM style. Has anyone mounted a tent on top, whether it be the OEM or other custom ones? Thanks!

Recommended rooftop tents for 2013 Explorer XLT?

I have a 2013 XLT and am looking for a rooftop tent. Cross bars I have are rated for about 100 pounds each, and they’re OEM style. Has anyone mounted a tent on top, whether it be the OEM or other custom ones? Thanks!
Your thread was merged with this one found with the 'Search' feature.
Your weight restriction for a 2013 is 100 lbs as previously mentioned but I believe that is for stability when driving. I don't know if the OEM crossbars are flat or bowed. This thread is the only one that mentions "rooftop tent" in the Forum so I don't know how much input you will get from actual users. The Internet has several articles on them. Good luck.

Peter

Did you ever do this? Taking a long trip and wanted to know if I can load more than 100 on the roof in a carrier.

As mentioned a few times before, I believe the weight restrictions are for vehicle stability when driving and not the weight it can actually support. The weight is supported by the vehicle's frame, not the roof. Also, when driving on the highway, the load's weight actually increases.
Keep the free weights inside the vehicle, pack the clothing on top.” Thule also notes: “With a load on the roof, the vehicle's driving characteristics, its braking performance and its sensitivity to side-winds may change.” The explanation for this is simple: With heavier items on top, your center of gravity is higher, ...

Peter

The explorer uses an aluminum body whereas the jeep patriot is an all steel body construction. I would not exceed the 100lb payload on top of the body. You also need to be very careful where you position the roof bars on the factory side bars. They should be mounted along the door b pillar 48" apart to evenly distribute weight. I have malone bars for my kayak. The manual does say if you have the moon roof the max load is 40lbs but i have gone over this without issue. If you want to retain sunroof popup operation while bars are on you will need shorter bolts for whatever ur mounting to the bars as the glass pops up about half inch above the roof line. Many little details involved and you will need to measure a lot if you want to get it right. Watch the videos on etrailer they are pretty good.

Back