• Register Today It's free!

Rooftop cargo carrier recommends

Loganfilm

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Monica, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited 4WD
I've been looking at Thule and Yakima models and can't decide. I want something that is totally secure and solid. Anyone using one they're happy with?

I'm concerned that they are all too easy to break into.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Thule box. It's one that's like half as wide as truck. I'd say it's less easy to break into than the truck itself: rock vs window. Although I've never tried to pry the Thule open. It seems secure enough. What are you looking to keep in there anyway?

My box uses U-bolts to secure itself to the roof rack crossbars. It's not the best solution. Newer Thules have a redesigned attachment that uses a clamp.

cargo%20box.JPG

I have used both Thule and Yakima.
Had the Yakima on my old 2001 Acura Integra.
Used it for my mountain bike and a Surf Board (when I lived in CA)
Very well made.

I picked up the Thule system for my 2011 EX.
Installed in under 30 minutes.
Very solid, and will definately hold up.
I would recommend to install the Thule or Yakima roof rack prior to the cargo box.

I already have the oem cross rails, but do not feel they will hold up for what I want to do.

Also, check out the MOAB cargo basket and the Yakima Roadwarrior, both are pretty sweet, and hold plenty of storage.

See the sale I just posted in the roof rack thread.

I had a thule once, but jumped to Yakima ski racks and then a Yakima lo pro 15 box and I love it. It is sturdy, secure and has a light.

How much security are you looking for though? I have no problems leaving skis and other things in it while in a gas station, a restaurant and probably even over night at a nice hotel. It can't be opened easily by prying etc.

If your looking for something secure in a shady hotel parking lot, middle of nowhere airport satellite lot, or other part of town where you are also concerned about the headlights, airbag, and wheels getting stolen then this isn't for you. For any box they could drill the lock, take a sawsall to the box, the latch or just go through the roof bars and take the whole box to work on later, they could also get through it with a small propane torch of course.

See the sale I just posted in the roof rack thread.

I had a thule once, but jumped to Yakima ski racks and then a Yakima lo pro 15 box and I love it. It is sturdy, secure and has a light.

How much security are you looking for though? I have no problems leaving skis and other things in it while in a gas station, a restaurant and probably even over night at a nice hotel. It can't be opened easily by prying etc.

If your looking for something secure in a shady hotel parking lot, middle of nowhere airport satellite lot, or other part of town where you are also concerned about the headlights, airbag, and wheels getting stolen then this isn't for you. For any box they could drill the lock, take a sawsall to the box, the latch or just go through the roof bars and take the whole box to work on later, they could also get through it with a small propane torch of course.

Can you post pics of your setup on your 2011?
Thanks

Sorry, I don't have a photo of mine. I will see if I have enough time to play around in the near future and mount it on top for a photo. Doesn't take too much time, I have a pulley system in the top of my garage that I use to put it on/off and store it near the ceiling.

Back