Rookie guide to changing Spark Plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rookie guide to changing Spark Plugs

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
1. Look up mechanic in phone book
2. Call Mechanic and make appointment
3. Take car to mechanic.
4. Finished.

After two hours I have been able to change 1 out of the 6 spark plugs. Ruined my Easter. You all made it sound so easy.

If you try to do it yourself, you will need about 30+ dollars in tools. It is not worth it. Now my hands hurt like hell, I can't start my car because the second plug I was working on is stuck, and I have some tools that I will never use again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know what year you are working on but on my 98, the driver's side plugs are pretty easy to install. The passanger's side is the hard one and in that you cut a hole in the wheel well.

2000 OHV... And I am doing the drivers side. I got one of the somewhat easy. Then one I got the boot off but I can not get the spark plug out. I'm not sure if I have to have some kind of angled extension to turn the ratchet or what. Then the other one, no matter how hard I pull the boot will not come off.

Very frustrated right now.

On my '00 OHV what I did was use some extensions with a swivel extension or two. It only took me about 2 hours. The only reason it took so long was because one of my little brothers decided to take one of my plugs. Therefore I had to run to the parts store to get another one. While there my friend that worked there kept me even more distracted.

Anyways back on subject just use some extensions and swivels. Oh yeah be prepared to bust your knuckles, I did.

2000 OHV... And I am doing the drivers side. I got one of the somewhat easy. Then one I got the boot off but I can not get the spark plug out. I'm not sure if I have to have some kind of angled extension to turn the ratchet or what. Then the other one, no matter how hard I pull the boot will not come off.

Very frustrated right now.

The best way to get to the one that you have the boot off is by using some angle extenders (not sure of the actual name of the tool) on your rachets. The tool was like $2.50 at Advanced Auto Parts. Wrap some electrical tape around it a couple of times to keep the correct angle. And for the one with the boot on it, I had the same problem. The only thing you can do is get a good pair of pliers down there and twist.

I know how hard it is. It took me two weekends to change 4. I still got 2 more to go and I am gonna give it one more shot when I go to do my brakes. If not, off to the shop.

On my '00 OHV what I did was use some extensions with a swivel extension or two. It only took me about 2 hours. The only reason it took so long was because one of my little brothers decided to take one of my plugs. Therefore I had to run to the parts store to get another one. While there my friend that worked there kept me even more distracted.

Anyways back on subject just use some extensions and swivels. Oh yeah be prepared to bust your knuckles, I did.

I did the same. Couldn't believe how many sharp peices of metal where down there. My knuckles had blood running down them when I was done. Also everytime I pulled hard on a boot and it was stuck, it popped real fast and I slammed my hand into something.

You guys should try twisting while pulling gently on the boot of the wire, not the wire itself.

Also, it isn't wise to cut a hole in the wheel well, there are a couple of plastic grommets. Take a pair of scissors, slide between the head of the grommet and wheel well, push up or pull down.

Makes your plugs alot easier to get to. Also, when you are installing, use anti-seize on your spark plugs, and put some dielectric grease on the tip of the plug; wire end..

Wow- sorry we all ruined your Easter. Way to endear yourself to the forum. I've had situations come up that I've had to deal with, but I didn't blame the forum members for making it "sound easy..."

Like changing shocks- nobody said I'd spend 2 hours trying to remove ONE bolt holding the upper end of the shock on the rear driver side.

No offense- but if $30 in tools, and knowing what tools are needed to do it- like swivels and extensions (patience is free) is too much money and those are tools you don't think you'll ever use again, yeah- you're probably better off taking your Ex to a mechanic... -for oil changes too.

Sound like an ass? Sure- but that's how you came across too. Nice, huh?

Relax, I was not blaming the forum....Well except maybe for the guy who said in another post that [if you can't replace spark plugs you shouldn't be driving a car.] Oh and I changed my oil regularly.

Besides I don't really know anyone on here anymore.

ANYWAYS...Wrigley and Buffalo, thanks for the advice. Advance Auto was closed because of Easter so I couldn't get the swivel.

If I am having this much trouble with the "easy side", should I not even bother doing the passenger side myself?

lol i havent done my plugs yet... i took my 93 ex to a mechanic and he fecked it all up broke a plug in the block tried charging me 1800 bucks.. so trustworthy mechanics are few and farbetween but if you find one stick with them i spose.. i never did get the damn thing fixed its sitting in my garage now waiting for the mrs to give me the ok to buy a bore scope(200+ dollar tool i'll maybe used once or twice) or until i find someone to help a guy out... as for sockets/wrenches etc those are needed tools.. hopefully next time you'll have a better experience and better luck... i am by far a mechanic but with this site i've learned alot of valuble things and alot of "what not to do's" its saved me ALOT of money.. hopefully people are around next weekend as thats when the 91 gets her plugs changed(hopefully with great ease...)

never done plugs like i said but i hear like pb blaster a week in advance(i started friday) been goin out there every day for it lol

A lot of repairs take a long time the first time you attempt them. I'm sure with the experience you've gained it will not take half as long the second time. If you think Explorers are hard to work on, then try to replace the plugs on an Aerostar.:eek:

A lot of repairs take a long time the first time you attempt them. I'm sure with the experience you've gained it will not take half as long the second time. If you think Explorers are hard to work on, then try to replace the plugs on an Aerostar.:eek:

I've had to do plugs on an Xterra, they're all on top except for the last freaking one, it's on the back facing the firewall. Took 45 minutes for that one plug, and probably 15 for the rest. To put that in perspective, I can do the plugs on my ex in about half and hour.

Relax, I was not blaming the forum....Well except maybe for the guy who said in another post that [if you can't replace spark plugs you shouldn't be driving a car.] Oh and I changed my oil regularly.

Besides I don't really know anyone on here anymore.

ANYWAYS...Wrigley and Buffalo, thanks for the advice. Advance Auto was closed because of Easter so I couldn't get the swivel.

If I am having this much trouble with the "easy side", should I not even bother doing the passenger side myself?

Its really up to you. Take a look at them next time you are outside. I have never seen where the plugs are on a 2000 but on my 98 they are tough and take more patience then I have. But who knows, maybe you'll find it easy. Just remember the easiest way is through the wheel well. Also someone just told me that taking the tranny line with the dip stick in it is also easy to take out.

You don't actually take it out, Buffalo. You remove the bolt that is holding the tube to the engine. This allows you to move the tube to the side which makes it easier to get to spark plug # 2.

You don't actually take it out, Buffalo. You remove the bolt that is holding the tube to the engine. This allows you to move the tube to the side which makes it easier to get to spark plug # 2.

My bad.

Not a problem, that is how we learn.

Buffalo, you said that you still have 2 left....So its not a big deal if I wait a while before I do the passenger side?

Changing them at the same time gives your motor a chance to run optimally. It is best to just change them all. Besides, while you're at it, you'll be able to tell what is going on inside of that cylinder, and a bit about the inside of the motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buffalo, you said that you still have 2 left....So its not a big deal if I wait a while before I do the passenger side?

Right now, the truck is only sitting in my driveway so it did not really matter if I changed all of them. However, if you are driving it everyday I would recommand doing it ASAP. It won't do much to the engine but it will help with fuel milage and even power.

Back