• Register Today It's free!

Rotating the camshafts - question

Vette76

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4.0L & 97 XLT 5.0L
I'm just at the point of having loosened the right camshaft sprocket bolt on my 02 SOHC V6. For all those who have done this while the engine is in the vehicle...I salute you! :)

I'm trying to figure out my next step and I'm at an impasse. When I changed out the jackshaft bolt the right camshaft moved about 45 degrees. I have the sprocket bolt loosened and the camshaft holding tool loosened as well. I believe that the camshaft should now rotate without moving the camshaft timing chain, correct?

Would I be able to rotate the camshaft "clockwise" back 45 degrees to get it back in timing or does it have to be rotated around counterclockwise to get it back in timing?

In addition, when the manual states that the camshaft needs to be "placed" in the right position, they must be kidding right? I tried to put pressure on the camshaft with everything loose and I stopped dead in my tracks after I felt like I was really putting some weight behind it. How much resistance should I be feeling from the valve springs etc. in order to rotate the camshaft back in place? I tend to be a little bit of a meathead and put way too much beef on things, so I'd really need to know how much muscle this should take...or is this a finesse job?

Thanks for the help.

Back