Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
So driving the ‘04 today, I hear this weird thump thump thump sound from what seems like the center of the vehicle. Kinda like the sound made when you bump your hand on the door or body. Only, it was like an arm was tied to the driveshaft and flopping around.

Funny thing, I don’t recall any odd sensations from the vehicle. Both times, it did it when accelerating and stopped immediately when I let off the gas. Giving it gas again didn’t bring the noise back, just happens randomly.
Car runs great. But it’s loud enough when it happens that you want to immediately pull over.
But again, no loss of power, no shaking or vibration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it be something in the tires, or a tree branch or similar stuck somewhere in the drivetrain?

Could it be something in the tires, or a tree branch or similar stuck somewhere in the drivetrain?
I crawls under to look, but had just driven it so the exhaust was hot. But couldn’t see any foreign objects.

RWD or 4x4?

RWD or 4x4?
4wd auto. 4.6. Recently had the rear abs sensor go bad and took too long to get to it. So on slower turns the auto 4wd would kick in.

Haven’t had a chance to drive it since. Will this weekend.

Back