• Register Today It's free!

Rotational noise on manual 5 spd.

Mpetronek

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 4.0L XLT 5spd.
Right after we had a good sized snow storm this past winter I noticed a noise coming from my tranny when i was moving at low speeds. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the 4wd in the transfer case since i was driving in the snow a lot. My dad and I pulled the tranny and transfer case out and cleaned it all up and checked the gears for chips, etc. We threw a new clutch in while we had it out, checked for anything at all that could have been making the noise, but found nothing wrong. We put it all back in and fired it up and took it for a drive. still the noise is there. we got under and listened with a stethoscope and found that it is coming right where the tranny and transfer case mount together. It does it in every gear, even when coasting in nuetral, 2wd or 4wd...it still makes the noise. It is a high pitched rotational knocking i guess i could say. NOT A GRINDING. Does anybody have any ideas what it might be?

*UPDATE* the noise seems to be not as loud now that it is warmer outside...

Could be something up with the TCase. Or consider swapping in another automatic ones. Pull n save in Spokane has em just laying around usually because people pull them to get at the trannies.

yeah I think it has to do with the transfer case out of anything.

Back