Rotor Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotor Issues

bkb88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' Eddie Bauer
I recently had my front passenger side wheel bearings go out and I had to end up cutting the inner bearing race off of the spindle. I noticed that the abs wheel sensor looked like it had came into contact with something but just cleaned the sensor up and went on with installing my new rotor/bearings. Well, after I tightened the spindle nuts for my manual hub conversion to the correct torque I found that my rotor has a slight wobble and only rotates about 1/4 of a turn then hits the abs sensor. Any ideas on what could cause this? Possibly my spindle is screwed up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Since my abs sensor was trashed I decided to go ahead and replace it along with a good used spindle to see if that will cure my problems. I can see on the spindle where some metal was taken off where the inner bearing is supposed to rest. I think this is what was causing my wobble and is why the teeth on the inside of the rotor were making contact with my abs sensor. Has anyone else encountered any problems similar to this?

i noticed when changing the wheel bearings on my x that the passenger side abs sensor was chewed up. previous owner didnt know anything about it. i really doubt its the spindle, more than likely a rotor issue.

Really? I would have immediately thought it was the rotor if I had not had an issue with my bearings going out. It makes sense now that even if the spindle was slightly chewed, there would be no possible way the bearing would be able to sit on there crooked. I got a quote from O'Reilly for a right side ABS sensor for only $42.00 so I guess I'll just change the rotor out there when I pick it up. I'll definitely mock it up before putting the abs sensor in to see if there are any wobbles on the new rotor. Anyone else have any ideas about any other possible problems?

When I went to my drilled rotors they did not have the tone ring as they were for the 92 and 91 year X's with only rear ABS. I disabled my ABS and to be honest I have a lot better braking now that I have done that. But the rotors I had before never did rub at all even when the rotors warped and that was often and why I went to the drilled ones. So far best thing I did in the brake department. Some day I would like to find the tone rings and try the ABS with them but not in a great rush as I like not having ABS when off road.

I did some looking around and found that the abs ring on my new rotor wasn't pressed in correctly from the factory. It was off nearly 1/8"... Needless to say I have everything back together haha. I have one issue though, my ABS light still kicks on when I get to around 70mph or so. I thought for sure it was because my right front ABS sensor was chewed up. Would unhooking my battery solve this or do I have some other problems I need to address? FYI I have recently replaced my RABS sensor as well.

I just pulled the ABS codes and here is what I got: 22, 23, 24, 17, 32, 37, & 63. Does anyone know what these codes mean?

I have spent the last hour looking for 1994 ABS codes on-line, and I don't mind saying, I'm pretty good at internet searches. I pretty much struck out. I may come back to this in the morning, if I get some new search ideas. 1994 Ford factory ABS manuals are on ebay for about $25 with shipping. If they were downloadable, I'd have done it by now. I may buy a hardcopy for my own reference, I like factory manuals and I have a 94 myself. If you wait long enough, I will know...

The best I could do is the 94 mustang, here are those codes. but some of your codes are not on this list, it may be completely wrong:

FOR 1994 MUSTANG!!!

Here are the error codes:

12 - system ok
19 - anti-lock control module
22 - right front valve
24 - left front valve
26 - rear valve
31 - right front ABS sensor continuity fault
32 - right rear ABS sensor continuity fault
33 - left front ABS sensor continuity fault
34 - left rear ABS sensor continuity fault
41 - right front ABS sensor
42 - right rear ABS sensor
43 - left front ABS sensor
44 - left rear ABS sensor
61 - pump motor/pump motor relay fault
63 - voltage supply interruption
69 - vehicle battery voltage less than 10VDC
78 - ABS sensor frequency fault

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/brakes/absDiagInfo.html

bkb88 did you after replacing the sensors reset the ABS brain at all? if not I would pull the ABS fuses or unhook the battery and let it sit then hook it back up and see if that helps ya out with resetting them as you may have the codes still set in the ABS brain.

Back