Rotors and breaks problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotors and breaks problem

mmunsee

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
When i first bought my 91 exp few months ago when i pushed the brakes it would shake to all hell, so I changed the rotors AND breaks, smooth as satin. Now its starting to shake again, anyone know why? Someone mentioned maybe the back drum breaks are not adjusted correctly? Any help would be helpful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rotors were warped and they might be again. Where did you get the replacement rotors?
Did you replace the slide pins?
Any other hardware?
It could be the back brakes as well, put it up on jackstands and turn each rear tire, you should fell(or hear) just a little drag. If you don't adjust them in a little bit.

I replaced rotors, and the brake pads, i did NOT replace the slide pins although I need to. And how do I go about adjusting the back drum brakes?

I replaced rotors, and the brake pads, i did NOT replace the slide pins although I need to. And how do I go about adjusting the back drum brakes?

On the inboard side of the drum, on the backing plate, there is an oval cutout down on the lowest part towards the ground. It may have a rubber plug in it. You can adjust the rear brakes inward using a brake-spoon or a regular screwdriver. Take the tire off with the back axle on jackstands and spin the drum, you should just feel a little drag.

By replacing the rotors and ignoring the slide pins is asking for trouble. The slide pins are essential to smooth operation of the calipers and should not be ignored. If the caliper hangs up on the pins, your turning your new rotors and brake pads to junk prematurely. It will cause the symptoms you describe.
You may have to replace the rotors again, as well as the pads. (unless the rotors can be turned) If this is the case, please get a new set of slide pins (about $20) and fill the rubber boots with grease, push the pins thru them, and wipe off any excessive amount of grease. Also add a very thin film of grease on the steering knuckle where the pads slide on the stainless steel slide (and I mean thin, like with just a greasy finger and wipe it across).

Also, beware of cheap, thin rotors. They will warp quickly and will end up costing you more in the end than buying the better quality ones to start off with. Vehicle brakes is not a place to go cheap on. I am not saying that you did, or do...just trying to stop you from making mistakes in the future that will cost you more in the long run.
Good luck

Thanks man, Most likely I will be replacing the rotors AGAIN, and the brake pads, Ill grab some new pins, and also adjust the drum brakes, how much do I adjust them anyways?

Thanks man, Most likely I will be replacing the rotors AGAIN, and the brake pads, Ill grab some new pins, and also adjust the drum brakes, how much do I adjust them anyways?

You should just start to hear/feel the slightest amount of drag on the drum

Alright I'll give it a try, thanks again bro.

Back