• Register Today It's free!

Rough Country Lift on an '01?

Govna47

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Ridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
Stumbled across this before and it got me to thinking...

http://www.roughcountry.com/suspension/4wd-ford/ranger_83-97_4.html

I know that it is designed for earlier year ex's but is there a way to make the components work on a 2001 Explorer Sport? If so, it would be a heckuva way to save $1500 on the superlift kit, which is a bit out of my price range. Can anyone shed more light on this? Thanks

The earlier Explorers were TTB (twin traction beam) and your newer Explorer is IFS (independent front suspension).

The way that the axle carries the differential is very different and the axle drop brackets in the kit you're looking at won't work.

A good rule of thumb is if it hasn't been done on here before it's probably not doable. If there was a way to make something crazy work (especially if it saves a boat load of money) know that it has been considered. I would venture a guess there aren't a whole lot of ideas that haven't been discussed and/or tried by the forum members hahaha.

I could be wrong, but I think that kit says the year range up to 97 because it covers the Ranger up to 97. For the Explorer it says 90-94.

That tells me the suspension (notably the front) is the same on the Ranger up to 97 that the Explorer had in the first gen.

So that would mean it wouldn't work on the torsion bar 2nd gen Explorer suspension.

Someone who knows a bit more than me should chime in here....

Thanks for the quick responses. It was a flash in the pan idea anyway, wasn't really expecting it to work :/

Back