• Register Today It's free!

Rough engine idle and miss

Oxthe3rd

Reaction score
City, State
Hamburg NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
I was driving when my 1992 developed a miss randomly buy very noticeable. I got home ran a koeo and koer test and got 157 and 158 on koeo and 159 on koer. I believe that's for maf sensor. When running I unplugged the sensor with no change to the rough idle.

Any ideas before I get a new maf?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grab some cleaner and clean the hot wires off. People say you must only use MAF cleaner but that stuff is expensive. I've used Brake Parts cleaner without issue. Vinegar as well but you need to let it soak. Whatever you do, don't touch the wires or brush them. Liquid only, no compressed air.

Electrical contact cleaner works better than brake cleaner for the MAS sensor. Definitely clean it first before buying a new one. Reset the engine computer too.

Electrical contact cleaner works better than brake cleaner for the MAS sensor. Definitely clean it first before buying a new one. Reset the engine computer too.

I would add that you should use the "No Residue" type electrical contact cleaner. There is also the type of cleaner with a lubricant added that may mess things up.

Alright so I cleaned the sensor with contact cleaner and letting it dry over night. I think i found what caused it. I have a decent amount of oil coming in from the oil fill tube into the intake that sprayed all over.

Cleaned MAF sensor solved most of the misfire but i still have a miss at steady throttle around 2000 rpm. It doesn't happen constantly but does set off the check engine light. check engine shuts off almost immediately after.

Im going to try to pull any codes i can and will update. I think im going to change the fuel filter and check my plugs although the plugs were changed recently.

Finally replaced the mass airflow sensor and its all fixed

Finally replaced the mass airflow sensor and its all fixed
Thanks for posting back. It is important to know -- what worked... and what didn't.

Back