Rough idle and code po304 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle and code po304

Reaction score
City, State
redlands, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
Have a 96 ex 4.0 manual, it has a rough idle and just set a. Po304 code , I changed the plugs and checked the wires with no change, I also cleaned the Maf and Icv, I have no coolant loss and no tailpipe smoke ... I've been reading online but haven't found any good info. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated I don't Want to dump anymore unnecessary cash into this thing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It also high idles to 1500 when I come to a stop and then drops down to 1000 after a few seconds

I'm not real good with OBD-2/EEC-V diagnostics. P0304 means that the computer detected a misfire on cylinder 4. The first question I would ask is if the misfire is really isolated to #4 or if all cylinders are misfiring and, for whatever reason, the computer decided #4 was the worst. Is the P0304 consistent, or is it sometimes P0304, then P0302, then P0300.

If it's a misfire specific to #4, then you need to look at all the things specific to cylinder that could cause a misfire (ignition components, valves, compression, injector, etc.). When you changed the sparkplugs, did the #4 plug look different from the others? Did they show any signs of fouling?

If you decide it's more of a general misfire, then you need to poke around at different things than cause misfires (which could be a lot of different things).

On edit: One of the first things I think of with a high idle is a vacuum leak.

No po304 is the only code, I tried swapping the 3 and 4 wire on the coil and cleared the code, no change, same code came back, spark plugs all look the same

I'm going to pull the upper intake today and mess with the injectors and pull the valve Cover on the driver side I've got some valve noise in there anyway

I went through the same routine you are planning to do to clear the P0304 I had that was not cleared by changing plugs, wires and coil pack. Used an old timing light to check for spark on the cylinder 4 wire and did not show spark. Changed wire as you did with still no spark to #4. After all the work I came back to the plug in #4 and found the new one I put in was dead short. Just had this happen again and same thing on the Autolite platinum that I put in 12-15k ago. Happy hunting.
Joe

Back