• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle - at a loss

rharbove

Reaction score
City, State
Winter Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Eddie Bauer v
I'm a new member here but this is my second explorer (first was a 2000 XLT, this one is an 06 EB V6). Anyway, I've got a slightly rough idle, with popping at the exhaust and you can physically see on the and hear the idle slightly moving up and down (about 50-100 rpm) I have replaced the plugs, wires, ignition coil, fuel filter, and the EGR valve. I have also cleaned the throttle body. I did my best to check for vacuum leaks but spraying around I couldn't find anything. Am I missing something that would seem obvious to any of you guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The symptoms sound like it could be a bad or dirty IAC valve.

The symptoms sound like it could be a bad or dirty IAC valve.

From what I've seen the 2006 didn't have one. Or if it does I haven't found it

If it is not the traditional shape of an IAC like used on earlier models of the 4.0L, and next to the throttle body, then it is probably the newer design that just uses the throttle body plate positioning to accomplish what an IAC valve used to do.

Is it possible that you just have a bad tank of gas? I'd hook up a scan tool capable of live data and look at that. Are any trouble codes set? Is there any pattern to it, like a change when A/C compressor cycles on, or starts to cycle on then cuts out because RPM dropped too much?

I don't know about the popping, but our 2009 Escape v6 had jumping rpm rough idle. I cleaned the throttle body too, but ended up buying a new one and problem solved. It does have 260,000 miles on it though!

4.0 V6. I can make a video if needed to show what it's doing

4.0 V6. I can make a video if needed to show what it's doing

If it is not the traditional shape of an IAC like used on earlier models of the 4.0L, and next to the throttle body, then it is probably the newer design that just uses the throttle body plate positioning to accomplish what an IAC valve used to do.

Is it possible that you just have a bad tank of gas? I'd hook up a scan tool capable of live data and look at that. Are any trouble codes set? Is there any pattern to it, like a change when A/C compressor cycles on, or starts to cycle on then cuts out because RPM dropped too much?
Took it to the mechanic today and they did a compression test on it, cylinder 5 is down just a bit and they think it's a sticking valve and recommended running some cleaner through it and changing the oil using a good stabilizer.

Back