Rough Idle (High/Low) and intermittent stall | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle (High/Low) and intermittent stall

Extremerc12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Base
Hello all,

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4x4 with the 4.6L and 162000 miles. For about the last year, we have been having rough idle (highs and lows) and intermittent stalling. Let me first explain the symptoms a bit before I indicate what I have fixed and such thus far. With regards to the rough idle, sometimes when I am at a stop (stop sign, light, etc) the RPMS will drop low (300-400) and then catch back up. However, the primary rough idle actually deals with the high side. The best way I can explain it is when I am coming to a stop, or want to make a turn into a parking lot, etc, when I start to slow down the trucks RPM's will stay around 1500-2000 and I will need to get into the brakes as the truck tries to push through the stop before it will abruptly downshift. If we talking at start, we typically get a high idle and it can stay high until the throttle is blipped or it finally kicks down.

At this time, I have done the following work to this truck. Keep in mind, that I generally don't have too many issues diagnosing vehicles and working on them (I rebuild wrecks and restore cars). With that said, my first inclination was an IAC issues as it was the original Motorcraft, so I went ahead and replaced that. While I was replacing the IAC (BWD), I realized that the PCV Hose assembly had a collapsed elbow and a hole in it. I went ahead and replaced the entire hose and elbow along with a new PCV valve (Motorcraft). Since a lot of the components were still original, I took this a step further and replaced the spark plugs as they were due for replacement anyhow. The final idea I had was to clean the throttle body and Mass Air Flow sensor. The throttle body had pretty good carbon build up in it and such. At this point I was a bit baffled as it did not correct the issue at all. All of this work was done back in the fall. Fast forwarding to now, the issue is still here, but way more problematic now than ever before. Since I was drawing a blank, I brought the truck to a mechanic who is a good friend of mine and my company. We started going through the obvious, again cleaned the throttle body (probably better than I did) and cleaned the mass air flow. Upon their inspection, they realized the coolant level was a bit low. They filled it and did some investigative work and found dried up coolant on the front passenger side of the intake. This indicated to me there is likely a vacuum leak around the intake. I am waiting for the results of a smoke test to see if the intake is leaking and/or cracked some wheres else. I guess this brings me to my question, will this cause this particular issue, or should I be looking at something else? I should also mentioned that during the most recent stalling episode (last week) the truck quickly threw a trans code (overdrive code) which I am told is referring to something going on with 5th gear. I don't have the code handy and it light went right out and hasn't come back on.

Thanks for the help.

CHris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try the Motorcraft IAC, aftermarket IAC doesn't seem to work always.

This is something I was thinking about putting into the truck. I know most Fords do not run so well without Motorcraft components and such. I just figured there wasn't much that could be changed in an IAC to screw it up.

So after smoking the intake, there are two leaks in it that are evident. With that said, the mechanic seems to think the 5th gear trans code is what is actually causing the issue. I disagree and think it is actually the leaks in the intake. Thoughts?

Careful arguing with a mechanic :p The 4.2L ford V6 for F150's has a certain emission code and running condition but it has nothing to do with what the code says is wrong or any emissions equipment...

Back