Rough idle, lack of power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle, lack of power

kenboyles72

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Rough idle, lack of power (Problem Fixed)

Hello all, back again with another issue.

A couple weeks ago, my 2000 ford explorer (v6-x engine) started to run rough. Last week, my alternator went out and thought maybe low voltage was causing the issue. But after replacing alternator, it still ran rough and it's now getting worse. So, i replaced the spark plugs/wires, air filter, fuel filter, checked oil, and checked for vacuum leaks. The plugs and wires were awful, fuel coming out of the inlet side of the fuel filter looked like weak coffee it was so dirty and didn't find any vacuum leaks. Still after all the replacements, it was still running rough/no power, but it was a bit better. So today, I gutted out my catalytic converter and it started to run a whole lot better, but there is still the rough idle and acceleration is still weak. What else could be the issue? The CEL is not on, i don't know if the bulb is even there. I bought this used, so I'm still getting it in shape. My explorer just rolled over 200k miles. Anyone have suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try cleaning your iac valve and maf. look in above save files on how to or search. i cleaned them both and it helped mine some.

gutting the convertor lost you some power .that in itself could be robbing you of power and causing a rough idle .
if the cel isnt on now ,it will be soon once the 02 sensor after the convertor senses the cat isnt working .
we need more info .
does it run rough all the time?
or just in the morning?
have you checked for vacuum leaks?look around the dpfe on the drivers side of the motor (big plastic thing with a few vacuum hoses on it).

at this mileage do you know if the intake gaskets have ever been done?these usually fail way before this kinda mileage .

report back

the easiest check of the light is to just watch for it when you go to start the truck, IF it doesn't come on then, its burnt out or missing. Either way, the next easiest thing to do whether you have a light or not, is read the codes and go from there. It sounds like you have done lots. Probably clean the MAF and maybe do a compression test to see if mechanically things are sane.

@ joe doe - It runs rough all the time, I have checked for vacuum leaks and found none, don't know if the intake gaskets have ever been replaced.

I did notice hissing like an air leak coming from the back of the engine under the black air intake casing, image attached.

img0184wx.jpg

Anyways, gonna change out intake gaskets this weekend. Anyone else have any comments?

Fixed my issues.

Before changing out the intake plenum gaskets, I decided to clean the MAF and AIC. After that, the car still ran and idled like crap, so I started to disassemble to replace gaskets. As I looked down behind the a/c compressor, I said "wtf?" I noticed the spark plug wire was not attached. After putting the spark plug wire back on, car ran like a dream.

Back