Rough idle on my 2008 Ford Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle on my 2008 Ford Explorer XLT

Superman1974

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford explorer xlt
Does anyone have any suggestions how to raise the idle higher than the factory setting on a 2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 single overhead cam I've already replaced the throttle body the throttle position sensor all the spark plugs plug wires crank sensor harmonic balancer fuel pump and all the injectors still has rough idle when you put in gear when you raise the idle the gas pedal around 150 RPM it clears up any suggestions anything will be helpful thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have any suggestions how to raise the idle higher than the factory setting on a 2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 single overhead cam I've already replaced the throttle body the throttle position sensor all the spark plugs plug wires crank sensor harmonic balancer fuel pump and all the injectors still has rough idle when you put in gear when you raise the idle the gas pedal around 150 RPM it clears up any suggestions anything will be helpful thank you

How many miles on it?
Does it do it cold or hot?
All the time or intermittent?
Running techron fuel system and injector cleaner with a couple tanks of gas helped mine some.

Check your wiring harness for bare wires. That will cause a stumble / rough idle

Miss at idle. Probably low vacuum. Vacuum comes up with idle engined smoothes out. I replaced all those old pinch clamps with full wrap around screw down clamps and gained 2 inches of vacuum at idle. Replace any old dry rotting vacuum lines while your at it.

Let use know how it goes.

Miss at idle. Probably low vacuum. Vacuum comes up with idle engined smoothes out. I replaced all those old pinch clamps with full wrap around screw down clamps and gained 2 inches of vacuum at idle. Replace any old dry rotting vacuum lines while your at it.

Let use know how it goes.

Doesn't do it when cold because it's running richer?
Checking vacuum is easy enough, great suggestion!

Lol, I thought your reply was to my idle issue on my 2007

Back