• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle with a P0179 code.

jls0813

Reaction score
City, State
Pequea, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 99 Ford Explorer XLT, not a problem 11 yearsuntil I put in a new battery two weeks ago. After putting the battery in, filled up with gas and noticed the check engine light on. Went to autozone and they found code 179, which I was told it means the engine is running Lean, and to clean the MAF sensor. Did that, and even replaced with a new MAF senosr and still ideling rough. Starts out high, then goes to 500-600 rpm, then almost cuts out. I have read a few posts on here about others having the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is doing the same thing. A new one at autozone runs about 45. I just havent had the funds to get a new one, and being a single dad means i dont have time to clean it. lol

late edit... a new (IAC valve) runs about 45.

Thanks for all replies. I'll give it a cleaning tomorrow afternoon . I'll let you k

I have a 99 Ford Explorer XLT, not a problem 11 yearsuntil I put in a new battery two weeks ago. After putting the battery in, filled up with gas and noticed the check engine light on. Went to autozone and they found code 179, which I was told it means the engine is running Lean, and to clean the MAF sensor. Did that, and even replaced with a new MAF senosr and still ideling rough. Starts out high, then goes to 500-600 rpm, then almost cuts out. I have read a few posts on here about others having the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Back