AA7KN

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, Texas ( home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 4.0
Callsign
AA7KN
I was driving my 1996 4.0 automatic explorer down the highway at about 75 mph with the cruise control on. all of a sudden my tranny popped out of overdrive and went into neutral, the engine tached up to almost 6000 rpm before i could shut down the cruise control. I fixed the tranny problem, it was a loose connector on the transmission. but ever since the engine tached real high, now i have a rough idle. when i first start it cold it is not ideling rough, but as it warms up it starts. runs great above idle, but the rough idle is pretty bad. I was hoping someone would have some ideas i can do to correct this. maybe just a fouled plug, i will check them today, but is there anything else that would cause this ?

First thing to check is to see if there are any current, or stored trouble codes in the PCM.
Next, seeing as a loose connector was your initial problem with the transmission, it would be a good idea to look for other loose connections with the various systems of the vehicle. Generally, connectors normally don't come loose (disconnected) unless they have been tampered with at one time or another, like when the locking tab breaks when trying to separate a stubborn electrical plug/connector.
Additional things to look for:
1) is the PCM reading the correct engine temperature of the engine coolant?
2) when was the last tune up..., spark plugs, ignition wires?
3) clean MAF?
4) Throttle body clean
5) check for vacuum leaks
6) are the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets in good shape?
7) a vacuum gauge connected to full manifold vacuum during cold start and warm up can give tons of information just by watching the needle.

Back