• Register Today It's free!

Rough Running Mountaineer

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
I actually have this solved now, but I thought I would write up what happened in case someone else has similar problems.

My son calls me yesterday and tells me my '97 Mountaineer 5.0 started running like crap all of the sudden. He got it home, but only barely. He said it would only go about 40 MPH and it was missing badly. When I got to look at it, I noticed it was blowing lots of black smoke and leaving lots of soot behind the tail pipe. The check engine light was not on however. I got out my ODBC scanner and went for a test drive. I noticed two things. It ran fairly well in closed loop and it barely ran at all in open loop. I also noticed the MAF reading was way higher than normal. I figured there must be something wrong with the MAF so I took it out to take a look at it. I immediately found the problem. The (cone shaped) air filter had gotten so clogged that it had sucked the filter material into the middle and it was partially blocking the MAF. I cleaned all the filter material off the MAF screen and put a new filter in and all is now well. Guess I need to change my filters more often.:shifty_ey

Back