Rough Shifting 08 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Shifting 08 limited

RZC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 limited
Has anyone experienced rough shifting/knocking in the front end of their truck. I have an 08 limited. Its pushbutton 4wd, i recently replaced only the front 2 tires and since then it shifts pretty rough. Dealer says they will make me replace all 4 if i bring it there. I thought changing all 4 tires at the same time was recommended only for AWD trucks?? Any help on this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure your not AWD? It sounds like the two new, larger diameter tires may be messing with the trucks computer, telling it to go in and out of 4x4. But I'm sure someone knowledgable about the 4th Gen will jump in and help you out..

Welcome to the forums!!

Thanks Brandon,
I always thought it was 4wd. Its has 4x4 auto, the 4x4 high and 4x4 low. Normally its in auto unless I put it in high for snow conditions. Turning off the traction control also didn't change anything either.

4x4Auto you say, then I'm almost 100% certain that your experiencing it banging in and out of 4x4. The 2nd Gen AWD transfer cases are extremely sensitive to different size tires, even the same size but different amount of tread tires. I think that's whats going on here...

You could always play with it in some mud and see if bangs in and out less or less often to make sure it IS your 4x4 and it's still working.. ;)

But really, Ford and most AWD guys on the forums will recommend you even out those tires before you cause some expensive damages to the transfer case. If that doesn't fix it then come on back!

P.S. - Welcome to the forums!

Your right it does almost seem like its banging in an out of 4wd. Its does seem like past 3rd gear though that its ok, on the highway it rides fine once its in 4th gear from what i can feel. But as soon as it down shifts i get that banging feeling. If i accelerate fast it seems hesitant to shift.

I had read that a tread difference within 1/8" was ok...but doesnt seem that way. Plus the difference between the front and back isnt that much its with 1/16"

I'll have to try driving on some ice around here and see what it does.

Get on some dirt/snow and try putting it into 4x4Hi and the 4x4Lo and drive it around a bit, put the wheels under full lock to the right/left.. give it a good test, see if you notice any trends you can pick up in the noises. If it's still banging then... it might not be because of the tires.

Why not swap the fronts to the rear and rears to the front and see what happens.

V-8 with 6spd or v-6 with 5 spd trans?

I was thinking of swapping the fronts to back. Its a V8 6spd.

I think the truck's PCM will still pick up the indifference in the tire sizes and still go on the fritz. But I agree with you, if your tires are only 1/16th apart from each other, then your Auto4x4 should not be kicking in.

Take it out and put it in 4x4 hi and run it around your neighborhood in straight lines so you don't tear up your tires, don't have to go fast, just enough to see if it's still clunking. Try to rule this out first..

When you lock it into 4x4 Hi, that should override the auto feature and permanently put it into 4x4, so you should NOT hear it banging in and out of 4 wheel drive.

Thanks I will definitely try that today and get back to you. I doubt resetting the pcm would do anything but that crossed my mind to.

put 2 more tires on the truck before you break it.

Has anyone experienced rough shifting/knocking in the front end of their truck. I have an 08 limited. Its pushbutton 4wd, i recently replaced only the front 2 tires and since then it shifts pretty rough. Dealer says they will make me replace all 4 if i bring it there. I thought changing all 4 tires at the same time was recommended only for AWD trucks?? Any help on this?

Thanks

all 4x4 vehicles you change 4 tires at the same time. 5 if the spare is really old. so its not dry rotted and falling apart on you when you need it.

also you change them to the same mfg, brand, make, and model.

its the same problem in 4wd high. the 2 tires were replaced with used ones. Thats why the tread wear compared to the backs are within 1/16". yes they are a different make though so im not sure of the different in overall actual measured sized difference.

The truck is a lease and going back in about 2 months...picking up the 2011. So I don't want to buy 4 new tires to give it back to the dealer.

its the same problem in 4wd high. the 2 tires were replaced with used ones. Thats why the tread wear compared to the backs are within 1/16". yes they are a different make though so im not sure of the different in overall actual measured sized difference.

The truck is a lease and going back in about 2 months...picking up the 2011. So I don't want to buy 4 new tires to give it back to the dealer.

so 400 bux max means more then your life, i have nothing to add, you have bad tires, what will break, when, nobody can predict, considering you already are feeling the tires that are really different in circumference. its your life not mine. even if its for 2 months....

i put 2 more tires on it so that all 4 match. Problem is fixed. Rides nice and smooth now. Different brand/tire wear was the problem.

Thanks everyone

Back