Rough shifting after new cluthch and slave | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough shifting after new cluthch and slave

Bmoresports

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer sport
I recently spend too much money on a new clutch, slave cylinder and flywheel. Its my 94 explorer sport 5 speed. At first everything felt fine, a little rough but still alright. Getting into 2nd gear is especially tough. I need to really ease it into gear because it just does not want to go in smooth. feels like the gears aren't lining up correctly. Maybe its the slave cylinder? i got a aftermarket slave cylinder and its ratings are sub par so its not the best in the world... Could the slave not be engaging all the way or could it be something else, maybe something in the trans.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure the slave and clutch hyd line are bled really well....that'd be the first thing I check...

It would be worth posting the information of your new slave cylinder so the specs can be compared. I assume by new flywheel you do not mean resurfaced.

If you bled the slave well, I bet air got into the master during the work.

Maybe its the slave cylinder? i got a aftermarket slave cylinder and its ratings are sub par so its not the best in the world... Could the slave not be engaging all the way or could it be something else, maybe something in the trans.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can try to bleed all the air out of the slave cylinder, and it may work for a little bit, but you may need to buy an OEM Ford unit. There is a sticky at the top of the stock 91-94 section regarding bleeding the slave cylinder.

I just bought a new slave cylinder for mine from Ford in November, and it cost $130.

I try to sway people towards the Ford product, because the aftermarket ones are usually junk. I can say this because my clutch is hard to shift, and the previous owner had the clutch and slave replaced before I bought it. I have 18 thousand miles on it and it is on its way out.

I took it back to the shop and had em bleed the slave, no air in the system from what they said. I was thinking about checking the master and bleeding that to make sure. I guess I'll take it back to the shop sometime and have em put in a genuine slave. Problem is it's gonna cost like 600 for labor and I'm hella sour about that. I'm a backyard mechanic with not many tools and no knewlege of transmissions. If I pay for my guys to take out the trans should I get anything else done? Anything inside the transmission maybe? My explorer has over 131000 on her. The earliest I've read transmissions failing is around 145k. Any help and tips would be great thanks everyone.

Never heard of a 5 speed failure at 145k. Mines got 236k and shifts just fine (when the clutch hydraulics allow it to do so.)

Change out the transmission fluid, it is dextron (ATF), but what I personally like to do is use one quart of Lucas transmission fix and the other quart and change regular atf.

The Lucas is just a little bit thicker and for me makes it shift a little better.

If you buy transmission fluid you need 3 quarts, but you use 2 and a quarter or something like that.

Never heard of a 5 speed failure at 145k. Mines got 236k and shifts just fine (when the clutch hydraulics allow it to do so.)

Change out the transmission fluid, it is dextron (ATF), but what I personally like to do is use one quart of Lucas transmission fix and the other quart and change regular atf.

The Lucas is just a little bit thicker and for me makes it shift a little better.

If you buy transmission fluid you need 3 quarts, but you use 2 and a quarter or something like that.

Thanks!!!! ill check it out and probably end up getting a solid slave cylinder and bleeding the system making sure the master is ok.

I took it back to the shop and had em bleed the slave, no air in the system from what they said.

They may or may not know the specifics on how to bleed THIS clutch properly. It's a quirky system, and almost always needs extra attention to get it right.
If you haven't already, I would search and read up on all the different techniques others use, there's YouTube videos too. You and a friend can try a few things and see if it improves. I'd rather do that, before taking in back for them to drop trans for 600 or more.

they may or may not know the specifics on how to bleed this clutch properly. It's a quirky system, and almost always needs extra attention to get it right.
If you haven't already, i would search and read up on all the different techniques others use, there's youtube videos too. You and a friend can try a few things and see if it improves. I'd rather do that, before taking in back for them to drop trans for 600 or more.

yes!!!!

^^ Agreed...I ran into problems when I switched all mine out as well...best was to take the master out and bench bleed it...there's a youtube video on it somewhere out there...

Back