• Register Today It's free!

Rough Starting code P1451

Pudliner8

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
So to start out I have a stock 2000 ford explorer 4.0L SOHC. I recently changed the fuel pump and fuel filter both motorcraft parts and it still has a hard time starting up. Cranks over about 8 to 10 times then finally starts up and after that it runs perfectly. the code that i am currently getting is P1451. was just looking for some suggestions as to what could be causing the problem. looked up P1451 code and it says canister vent solenoid could this be causing the rough start?

Is it possible your battery is weak or you are due for a spark plug and/or wire replacement? Have you measured the fuel pressure after putting the pump and filter on? Cleaned the MAF sensor in recent years/miles?

I doubt that the P1451 code is the problem, unless there is some way that a vac leak can cause that code but not a lean bank code, but I thought that code was purely electrical based on the solenoid and whether it worked, wouldn't effect starting.

Is it possible your battery is weak or you are due for a spark plug and/or wire replacement? Have you measured the fuel pressure after putting the pump and filter on? Cleaned the MAF sensor in recent years/miles?

I doubt that the P1451 code is the problem, unless there is some way that a vac leak can cause that code but not a lean bank code, but I thought that code was purely electrical based on the solenoid and whether it worked, wouldn't effect starting.
I am having this same issue on my 2001 Ford Explorer sport trac. It has new plugs and wires, new mass airflow sensor, new fuel pump/fuel filter, new egr valve, and has a fresh battery. It will crank, sputter and die along with a very strong gasoline odor and eventually start after about 5 minutes of trying. It shows the same code p1451 and a cylinder misfire on all cylinders simultaneously. It has a slightly rough idle but runs and drives perfectly. I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

IIRC, yours has a EVAP valve (green) on top of the fuel tank that once it goes bad, will leave a nasty smell. Look for cracked emission hoses. They are plastic and crack due to age.

Back