• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Round antena on roof

Lightn95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
There is this round hockey puck looking antenna on the roof of my '13 PIU. Im pretty sure it is the cause of my water leak in the rear of the Explorer. Does anyone know how to remove it? I want to seal it better to stop the leak. It turns fairly easily and I can get under it. But I can't get it out.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

DubsR13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 PI Utility
Its probably locked from the bottom. I imagine if you remove the headliner you'll see the lock/ be able to confirm the leak.

jmr061

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Edge
Pr-16 Exp Sport
Pics would be helpful.

jmr061

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Edge
Pr-16 Exp Sport
NMO mounts are commonly used for antennas. Go to the 8 minute mark of this video....it may be of some help.

kobresia

Reaction score
City, State
Black Hawk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PI Utility
What Jason said. They're pretty much all NMO mounts, a small strap-style pipe or oil filter wrench with some purchase will twist it off. Upfitters seem to really crank down on them during installation in hopes they won't leak, and after a few years of the roof getting hot, the o-ring will stick.

Once you get it removed, your best bet would probably be to get a plug and then coat it with RTV silicone, that's what most decommissioning folks do to patch the roof properly.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
What Jason said. They're pretty much all NMO mounts, a small strap-style pipe or oil filter wrench with some purchase will twist it off. Upfitters seem to really crank down on them during installation in hopes they won't leak, and after a few years of the roof getting hot, the o-ring will stick.

Once you get it removed, your best bet would probably be to get a plug and then coat it with RTV silicone, that's what most decommissioning folks do to patch the roof properly.
....."wrench with some purchase will twist it off." :dunno:

kobresia

Reaction score
City, State
Black Hawk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PI Utility
....."wrench with some purchase will twist it off." :dunno:
Are you wondering about "purchase"? It's the word to describe a leveraging grip against something, and the puck antennae can be very stubborn. I was trying to remove one from my parts vehicle without damaging it over the weekend. Without the correct tools, which I was lacking, it's pretty challenging...

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Are you wondering about "purchase"? It's the word to describe a leveraging grip against something, and the puck antennae can be very stubborn. I was trying to remove one from my parts vehicle without damaging it over the weekend. Without the correct tools, which I was lacking, it's pretty challenging...
Thank you. I've never heard it used in that context.

Peter

Lightn95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU

That's exactly what I was planning on doing. So they unscrew off the roof?

kobresia

Reaction score
City, State
Black Hawk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PI Utility
That's exactly what I was planning on doing. So they unscrew off the roof?
Pretty much, yes. The NMO mount clamps into the hole in the roof, then the antenna base screws down on it and seals the hole with its o-ring.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
There is this round hockey puck looking antenna on the roof of my '13 PIU. Im pretty sure it is the cause of my water leak in the rear of the Explorer. Does anyone know how to remove it? I want to seal it better to stop the leak. It turns fairly easily and I can get under it. But I can't get it out.

Thanks

I'll buy the puck off of you!

Lightn95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
I'll buy the puck off of you!
I'm not sure how big of a hole will be left in my roof. The antenna is about 3" round.

Do the roofs have 2 skins, or is it just 1 layer? I'm still chasing this roof leak!

Last edited by a moderator:

kobresia

Reaction score
City, State
Black Hawk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PI Utility
They are one layer with ribs. The typical NMO mount hole is 3/4".

One thing to be aware of, the NMO mounts generally aren't watertight without the antenna or a weather cap, so make sure you have a 3/4" plug and some silicone RTV or caulk handy. The mount itself can usually be angled back into the hole and left in the headliner if you don't feel like pulling it and the length of cable out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dre Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0