ROUND OR SQUARE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ROUND OR SQUARE

I am mounting four Hellas on my custom made light bar. I would like your 2 cents on if round ones or square ones would look better on the roof??? I have 2 ,5inch round KC's on my front safari bar if that makes a difference but i'm thinking square will look more low profile on the roof? Like me know what ya think??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like round ones myself. Round lights are more efficient than square ones anyways.

Whatever way you go, and I do like both, I think they should be the same on the grill as on the roof.

i think rounds on top will look better unless you need low profile roof lights for garage clearance or something....

ROUND

round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round round

Well I guess six explorer owners cant be wrong??? I'll try the rounds.

STAY WITH KC

personally i think since u already have KC up front on ur safari then stay with KC up top, if they are round or square, toss up, guess most like round, but i think the square KC series 46 are pretty nice myself, i just ordered 2 sets of them for my surco rack, 2 front, 2 rear.

so pretty much my vote is KC Square

I would get KC's but there slim lights are so much more $$$$$ then the Hellas plus I wont feel as bad when I smack them on something like Mc D's Mc height bar for the drive through.

the kc's have a metal housing where as the hellas are plastic...dunno how much smacking youll be doing with the hellas ;) oh, and get whatever shape you want, i just like round alot better

ALSO,,do ya think a stock alternator will be able to keep up with 4, 55 watt hellas and 2, 100 watt kc's plus I also have an amp???

When i did my battery test i had my headlights, and 6-55w spot lights on along with my radio and it did take a considerable amount. But your not going to be driving with these things on 24 hours a day.. But even so I think it would be better to upgrade the alternator to atleast a 150.

Power calculation... watts / volts = amps

55 watts/12 volts = 4.6amps x (4 lights) =18.4 amps
100 watts/12volts = 8.3amps x (2 lights) =16.6 amps

Total aux lights = 35 amps

I have my light bar done,,,I went with the rounds and I think it looks great . I havent wired them yet because of time and I have to wait to get another altenator to power them. Thanks to all that replied.

Pics?

Those looke really good!! Theyre very slim and look like they belong there. Great Job!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks,,The explorer comes stock with a 95 amp or a 130 amp altenator so I'm thinking the more power options you have the more likely you'll already have the 130 amp alt???? anyone know how to tell the 2 apart?

Back