Not open for further replies.

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Well, I'm trying to unbolt the transmission from the back of the motor. The thing was put on with a damn impact wrench last time :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: and now they're so tight the bolts are just rounding trying to get them off (I have two on the right and left upper corner that are rounding, and I haven't even attempted the two top, center bolts.) Any tips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Geezus! What tools have you tried so far?

As one of your last resort, you could try to use a bolt extractor that eats into the head:

024721016126_3.jpg

Lots of extensions on a 1/2" drive ratchet with both 12 and 6 pt. sockets. (13mm) I've sprayed it with wd-40, didn't help. Just got back with PB blaster, so hopefully that will do something. It's tough to get in there with Vise-grips, but I'm gonna try that again after I eat. Any suggestions?

If you can get a gator grip socket, believe it or not,they work well enough to give it a shot. I got mine at wally world.
If that doesn't work, you can use a chisel angled on the head of bolt, and whack it the direction it should go, just enough to loosen and finish with a wrench. It seems like that would be a tight fit though, unles you could find a real long chisel.

Never used one. I'll try the Vise grips again and if I can't get it tonight, I'll go to Sears tomorrow and get some of those. Thanks.

What's a gator grip socket? I was just at Wal-Mart, but I'll run back up there if you think it would get it off.

I am not sure they still have them, but it is that deal they had on tv, it comes with a cheap ratchet, and is a deep dish socket with pins inside that lock around irregular shapes. It does grab good, just isn't real heavy duty
It should be in a plastic hanging package

I doubt that (the wally world socket) is gonna help ya - just a light duty thing... If you started with 12 point sockets, you probably dug yourself a deep hole that way... I wish I had some magic advice for ya. I am sending you good thoughts and hope you can bust em loose.

I started with 6, then tried a 12. I always thought that 6 point sockets grabbed better, but then I was told today that 12 did.

I would def try the bolt extractor. Give it a gentle whack with a punch and a hammer to make sure its on the head and start twisting slooowly. Its what I used to get a frozen exhaust manifold bolt out.

But good luck, this one sounds like its a toughy..

Oh and of course, if you can get a hold of an torch, warm up the block - or just let the engine run for 10 - 15 minutes ;) But then its going to be a hotty up under your vehicle. Oh and the ice cube on the head of the bolt trick after the heat :D Its like black magic or something

Run the engine and heat the block around the bolt with a torch and tap the bolt with a hammer, then try again.

Well, I did try heating it. My neighbor let me use his torch, I got it heated up, and put on a 1/2 12 pt socket (I think it's supposed to be 13mm, but honestly, both the 1/2 and 13 fit the bolt like a glove [well, the bolt that I already have out that's in good condition]) :confused: and it still rounded it. I'll try the idea of the ice and/or hitting with a hammer. Oh yeah, and I started a small fire on top of my trans (probably from all the pb blaster) and had to grab the fire extinguisher to put it out. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer to heat the thing up by running the motor, but can you actually crank the motor when you've got all the sensors pulled from the t-case and trans, the hydraulic clutch line that goes to the slave cylinder, as well as not having any fluid in the trans, and no t-case on at all? If it will actually crank and be fine for everything, then I'll try that. I'm guessing I couldn't though, since you have to push in the clutch for it to crank.

So what's the ultimate last resort if you cant get this off?
Just wondering cauz I have NO idea :rolleyes: .

IZwack said:
So what's the ultimate last resort if you cant get this off?
Just wondering cauz I have NO idea.
Pull motor and trans together....cut off bolt....get trans off....heat block and vise-grip the rest of the bolt out of the block...reinstall. Sounds simple enough, might give that a try tomorrow........... :confused:

bmxking5 said:
Pull motor and trans together....cut off bolt....get trans off....heat block and vise-grip the rest of the bolt out of the block...reinstall. Sounds simple enough, might give that a try tomorrow........... :confused:
Ahaha well alright then :confused: sounds like a plan!

bmxking5 said:
I'd prefer to heat the thing up by running the motor, but can you actually crank the motor when you've got all the sensors pulled from the t-case and trans, the hydraulic clutch line that goes to the slave cylinder, as well as not having any fluid in the trans, and no t-case on at all? If it will actually crank and be fine for everything, then I'll try that. I'm guessing I couldn't though, since you have to push in the clutch for it to crank.
can i do this?

BTW, to be perfectly honest, I'd put a 5.0 in this ***** before I went through the trouble of pulling the motor just to get a couple of bolts out.

6pts grab better, it just has more contact area, and also I would imagine that the bolt is suppost to be a 1/2", so I would only stick with that. I know as well a 13mm fits well (almost perfect) on a 1/2" but if its rounding, only use the right socket.

Best bet would be the bolt extractor, or a vice grip.

We have these vicegrips at the shop (I forget the name) its like a pipe wrench, but has a sliding neck and is like a locking pliers. They will get anything out, and can usually get into a tight space. They are a snapon tool, I just searched the site but couldnt find one.

I take it you are coming in from atop the trans tunnel?

(Remove seats, carpet and blockoff plate)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I'm coming from the bottom. I don't think I'd be able to get it off very easily from there. I tried the 1/2 socket on a different bolt and it wouldn't fit on there (it was a perfectly fine bolt) so that's why I went with the 13mm.

I always thought that 6pt was better for grabbing it, but two people today told me that 12pt was better...even though there is less of a contact area on it. :confused:

Been trying vise-grips, and those won't work either. Too small of a space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back