Rounding Bolts on Trans | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rounding Bolts on Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to know those extractors work so well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fantastic!

lets keep our fingers crossed for the rest of the bolts :D

I had to use the extractor on the other corner, and again it worked great. The top two were really easy to get to from inside w/ lots of extensions. The came out with ease with the breaker bar and a SIX point socket. The transmission is on the ground now and when I finish eating I'm going to pull off the clutch and flywheel. Then it's pretty much smooth sailing from there since the hardest part was breaking loose bolts that were installed without anti-seize and with an impact wrench.

Another thing that works in an emergency when you dont have bolt extrators is to heat the bolt head itself, and a small cheap socket on an extension red hot and then hammer the socket on it and let it cool.

bmxking5 said:
The top two were really easy to get to from inside w/ lots of extensions.
I guess whoever put the transmission on last time couldn't reach those top bolts with the impact wrench :D

Guess not...I honestly have no idea how those two corners bolts were so tight. Those two were the toughest to get to of all of them. :conufsed:

Yeah, when I have my creepies down to the wear bars, I'll get a shipping quote up to MD for you. :D

EDIT: you edit your posts too much :D

Ahaha ok thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :D
I mean, if nothing else, I guess I could just get in one and use it to roll down a hill a few times.

So let us know when you're done with this thread - we should close it before I start talking non sense - which I often do -- bablah bablaah bABlAHH :confused:

EDIT: no i dont edit my post too much :D

EDIT: hi :eek:

What would be the point of using grade 8 or higher? Grade 8 should be overkill on most things not relating to suspension. As long as brian dosnt torque em down and maybe uses a lockwasher and never seize he should be ok.

They are a very hard material that wouldn't round off as fast. The lower grades have a mixture of various alloys which make them softer (and cheaper). Check the grade that is on those bolts, and use either the same grade, or a little higher, but not lower. I doubt they are less than grade 5. A lot of Ford drivetrain bolts have numbers on them that usually say 10.9, or 8.8. You could check the points, or star marks as they are more commonly called.

Just put em on and some Anti Seize Lubricant :D

I have some Anti Seize Lubricant in my pocket, do you want to reach for it? :confused: - lol hax

The current ones are hardened "grade 10.9" bolts. I'll be using grade 8 bolts with lock washers & anti-seize.

Can a real moderator close this thread before IZwack goes crazy?? :D

LOL thread closing - thanks for posting. Cya next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back