Routing Through Firewall | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Routing Through Firewall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year Explorer, I am dealing with the same issue. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm going to take a guess and say it's a 2011 Base Explorer as that is what his forum name shows. Of course he could have upgraded since joining.
We'll see.:wave:

Peter

i had a squirrel build a nest in the bay of our 15. He chewed the rear windshield washer tubing right at the grommet where it enters the firewall. My attempts to use a vac line coupled and connect from the engine just pushed the former through. Really the only way to fix this now is from the inside.

Does anyone have a write up for accessing the firewall behind the glovebox? I'm a little worried about the airbag and also the led lighting my limited has. Wish my warranty covered this lol...

i had a squirrel build a nest in the bay of our 15. He chewed the rear windshield washer tubing right at the grommet where it enters the firewall. My attempts to use a vac line coupled and connect from the engine just pushed the former through. Really the only way to fix this now is from the inside.

Does anyone have a write up for accessing the firewall behind the glovebox? I'm a little worried about the airbag and also the led lighting my limited has. Wish my warranty covered this lol...
Found this thread using the handy 'Search' feature. Hope it might help.

Peter

thanks. going to make an attempt to see if the dealer will do it for me under warranty. after reading this thread I'm not sure if this is easier than I thought or harder as people have conflicting responses to accessing the grommet. that's all I need really is access to.

Anyone else tackled this on a newer explorer, 14-17? Seems the earlier models can access the grommet behind the glove box. Not so much for us later models, impossible. Even looking under the hood on my 16 sport, theres no where from the D/S top of the engine bay to get access, hell, couldnt even drill if i wanted to. I guess Ill have to get under and check for a spot.

Is Tony still around who went underneath? That looked clean and my final location is under the DS Seat. Did you drill or is that an existing hole?

.....Is Tony still around who went underneath? That looked clean and my final location is under the DS Seat. Did you drill or is that an existing hole?
FYI, his last post was May 23, 2016. You may want to try a private message.

Peter

Anyone else tackled this on a newer explorer, 14-17? Seems the earlier models can access the grommet behind the glove box. Not so much for us later models, impossible. Even looking under the hood on my 16 sport, theres no where from the D/S top of the engine bay to get access, hell, couldnt even drill if i wanted to. I guess Ill have to get under and check for a spot.

Is Tony still around who went underneath? That looked clean and my final location is under the DS Seat. Did you drill or is that an existing hole?

did you take the glovebox off and see the grommet isn't there? If you trace your rear windshield washer line you can jam your hand in there and feel where it enters, I've yet to see if I can see where it comes out the firewall and was hoping I could access it after removing the box.

I've heard nothing but problems with that behind the glove box route.

Also for the record:
The P.I.Utility upfitters guide that many refer to, is just that, for the police interceptor. I've explored a countless amount of those and there's a lot less junk under the dash, and many more "cheats" then a civilian explorer. There's a silver box behind the glove box in a regular explorer where that pass thru grommet is that enters the wheel well on the PI. It's also extremely tight back there and I'm not sure it's worth trying to jam your hand around blindly to find what's likely to be a tiny passage, and then put pressure on the wiper line causing it not to flow.

I have to run 4-10 gauge wires thru. Also this passenger method adds about 10+ feet to your wire run, likely causing you to have to step up the wire gauge due to resistance (if your goal is the drivers side).

I have to get the car up on ramps and really inspect it to see what's around.

P-001_2013_Police_Interceptor_Wire_Harness_Pass-Through.pdf
This Link shows the recommended way to pass through wires to the engine compartment for both the interceptor sedan (Taurus) and Utility (Explorer)
Any chance you have a copy of that guide? I have a 2013 PIU Base and I'm trying to run wires for fog lights - can't seem to find the designated routing grommet supposedly behind the glove box. Even took the glove box out and can't see anything besides the washer fluid hose and grommet. Help? 😅

Any chance you have a copy of that guide? I have a 2013 PIU Base and I'm trying to run wires for fog lights - can't seem to find the designated routing grommet supposedly behind the glove box. Even took the glove box out and can't see anything besides the washer fluid hose and grommet. Help? 😅

The guide is available to everyone on the ford police interceptor website.

Back