Rowher Flats (So Cal) Feb 1st

Jefe

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4x4
My brother and I are looking at doing a trail during the day Saturday Feb 1st. Probably Rowher trail or Lookout trail starting at Rowher Flats.

Rowher Flats is up Sierra Hwy just north of Santa Clarita, CA. We will probably meet up with everyone at the In-n-Out just off the 14 at the Sand Canyon exit. Time: 11:30 for lunch, Noon for the run.

Anyone and everyone is invited. A Stocker can make Rowher trail, although it is difficult.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ready to run!

Jefe and I are inviting a few friends to try out their offroad abilities. I've got a couple of friends with J**ps showing up so this should be a great time!

I am planning on being there and hopefully my boss with his Grand Cherokee.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!

I wanna go! I'll see what goin on next weekend! How bad is the trail?

And whats a stocker, you mean firstones and kids in the back!:D

Jeff has taken "stockers" on this run before, and I ran it a couple of times as a stock Jeep. There should be a stock Jeep with us also, so we plan on taking it easy.

There are also several spots on the trail with multiple paths - we can generally tell you over the CB which path is easier than the others. And there is one challenging hill off to the side that we will probably play on, but not part of the trail.

BTW, I'lll have my three young boys with me, and the other stock Jeep will have his two kids.

Definition of "stock": (a pic is worth a thousand words :) )

Nik024.jpg

This truck made it with very few probems. It was even his first time out 4x4ing.

And I can run the entire trail (except optional obstacles) in 2Lo :D

Hey, that's me! :D Yes, I made it with relatively few problems. A little paint scraped off the front diff, and one questionable hill, but otherwise, I was very impressed with my truck (as were some other people on the trail. I actually surprised the hell out of some of them). M/S tires as well. Now, since I'm trying to sell this thing, I don't want to kill it out on the trail, but depending on what time you all are planning on going, I could bum a ride with someone.

Mike

I'd like to try this. I've wanted to run some different trails around here. I know if you say a stocker can do it i can:D .

Originally posted by Gopher
I'd like to try this. I've wanted to run some different trails around here. I know if you say a stocker can do it i can:D .
Hmm. . .the trail we're planning on runing climbs from about 2000 ft to almost 5000 in a matter of miles so I'd think you'd want Lo for it. . otherwise your tranny's gonna be hating you. But you're more than welcome to come try, or ride along.

It already hates me.....just a matter of time before i take it in to have it put in its place. :p

Looks like we'll be meeting at noon. Maybe we could meet at 11:30 or so if anyone (ehhem, Mike :D ) wants to grab lunch first. We should be back on the road by 4 or 5.

Originally posted by Jefe
Looks like we'll be meeting at noon. Maybe we could meet at 11:30 or so if anyone (ehhem, Mike :D ) wants to grab lunch first. We should be back on the road by 4 or 5.

That's at the In-N-Out off Sand Canyon?

Originally posted by Brans Freestyle
hmm so do you think a 2wd 2nd gen completly stock could make it? ive been wanting to test this things durability offroad for a long time now, and have never been on a trail run before.
No, I'm sorry, but a 2wd stock would have no chance. Even if you had a locker in back it would still be difficult with stock tires.

I hope Jefe will correct me if I'm wrong, but because of the sections of steep climbing and large ruts, I would STRONGLY suggest you need a low gear and at least a limited slip in the rear. You could probably make it, but by having to "power" over everything instead of "crawling", you give up a large portion of control and DRAMATICALLY increase the chances of breaking something. IMHO.

I believe you could also try the first section and then decide for yourself.

I also believe Jefe has seats available to ride along if you decide to not risk your own rig.

(I guess Jefe posted between the time I read and the time I replied! :) )

Jefe's correct - a 2wd will have absolutely no chance on this trail at all. Even mine with 4LO and LS almost didn't make it up one hill (thanks to Jefe for bailing me out of that one :D ). Of course, I have M/S tires. Anyway, looks like I won't be able to make it this time, since I'll be working until about noon that day. Have some In-N-Out for me though. :p

Mike

I was wondering if someone could provide the exact address or name of the location for this saturday. I tried looking it up on the net and it couldn't find Rowher Flats so a little help please. Thnx :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by PYROMANIAC
I was wondering if someone could provide the exact address or name of the location for this saturday. I tried looking it up on the net and it couldn't find Rowher Flats so a little help please. Thnx :chug:

I don't of any address as there are no homes or stations there. Here's directions.

"Rowher Flat OHV area is located approximately 10 miles north of the town of Newhall, CA. Take the Antelope Valley Freeway (Hwy. 14) and exit at Sand Canyon. Go north on Sand Canyon to Sierra Highway and turn right. Take Sierra Highway approximately five miles to Rush Canyon access Road. Look for the Rowher Flat sign on the left-hand side of the road."

Back