• Register Today It's free!

Royal Purple Fluids

Pollarican

Reaction score
City, State
Wall Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB 4dr
After doing a bit of reading and debating between Royal Purple, Mobil 1, and Amsoil synthetics, I have decided on taking a step toward a fully synthetic car by using Royal Purple in my differentials and Transfer Case.

Amsoil seems to be what everyone on here is shooting for, but their marketing is obviously sub-par in the fact that the only way to buy their goods is online, and it is a shame that they don't widely distribute their product. Even BP gas stations don't carry Amsoil lubes, despite the fact that BP is an Amsoil company.

Royal Purple Products have several independant studies with dyno testing proving their efficiency, and it is pretty hard to argue with that. Not to mention, several local stores appear to carry everything I need. I am worried that local level stores might not carry their gear lube, but I will find out tomorrow.

Mobil 1 seems to have nothing but good reviews, and if I can't get all the Royal Purple products I want I will probably end up using Mobil.

My main question for this post is, what weights have all of you used in your transfer case, differentials, and transmission, and what kind of results have you guys seen with Royal Purple? Do you think 2-3 quarts of 75W-90 will cut it for each differential?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are local Amsoil dealers in virtually every town in the country.

AlDive, where did you search to find the locations of these dealers? I've been browsing their site and I can't seem to find any dealer listing. Not to mention, I have kept an eye out for Amsoil lubricants in the local auto stores I frequent and have not been sucessfull in finding anything. These include stores that stock plenty of Mother's products, which I am under the impression is an affiliation of Amsoil.

Look in the Yellow Pages and if no joy, call Amsoil's 800 number and ask.

Go to Amsoils site and click on "find a Amsoil dealer near you."
There are 2 within 6 miles of my street.

The only dealers I have found locally are home dealerships, using both google and Amsoil's official site. Even these local home distributors' sites are ambiguous and I'm not much for contacting independant people for a few bottles of oil. No hate towards Amsoil, I'm sure it probably is the best synthetic, but I don't think using Royal purple will show much significant difference in milage, performance, or protection when comapared to Amsoil.

Anyway, this thread wasn't supposed to be about Amsoil. What do you guys who have used Royal Purple think of thier products?

The only dealers I have found locally are home dealerships, using both google and Amsoil's official site. Even these local home distributors' sites are ambiguous and I'm not much for contacting independant people for a few bottles of oil. No hate towards Amsoil, I'm sure it probably is the best synthetic, but I don't think using Royal purple will show much significant difference in milage, performance, or protection when comapared to Amsoil.

Anyway, this thread wasn't supposed to be about Amsoil. What do you guys who have used Royal Purple think of thier products?

Well, it is a perception problem, I will admit that--however--
My local "home run" amsoil dealer has a 24x30 foot shop,devoted to, and filled with amsoil products.
This is a true "home based" business.

My amsoil dealer delivers to me, at home.
I only need give him a day notice--he delivers to a local "quick lube shop" and I am on the way--he also just sends a bill.

I don't know about Amisol... but I did finally get around to doing an oil change last night... 5 quarts of Royal Purple and a Fram filter. So far it seems to be doing well... not sure if I've got more power or anything, as the bottles claim, but I've got valve tick, so I'm hoping to get that fixed. So far... it seems to be working quite well. The ticking seems to have gotten a lot quieter. However, I'm going to give it a couple more weeks before I really decide if I like it or not. Also, I may not have evacuated all the old oil from the engine, so I expect it'll take at least one more oil change before I can really decide on Royal Purple...

I should do my transmission/transfer case as well though... plus my power steering fluid. My power steering pump whines though, so I'm likely going to pick up another one and change the fluids when I switch the pump.

what is a better filter

Mobil 1, Amsoil, K & N, Pur 1. Basically any filter is better than a Fram.

I ran RP in a couple of my cars and have heard only good things about it.

Isn't there already a thread bashing fram filters. I know there are amsoil threads too. Maybe you guys could go back to those instead of ****ting on his royal purple fluid question thread... :rolleyes:

Lol... I remember looking up oil filters a while back... I think there was a thread on it on another forum I frequented... IIRC, the K&N oil filters flowed better, but they also let through more particles... but, next time I'll get a better one. Didn't bother doing any research on the filter...

Would people say the same things about fuel filters? And... I know this isn't the place to post it, but how do you remove the fuel filter? I try to pull off the fuel lines and can't get the damn things off...

Pope it might seem complicated but it's probably one of the easiest preventative maintence jobs you can do to your Explorer. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool, and although you can buy the cheap crappy plastic ones at somewhere like Pepboys, I reccomend picking up the metal ones with rubber bands on them that help grab the fuel line (I think I got mine at Autozone). Just take the fuel line disconnect tool, slide it under the fitting of the line, and just try to work it off slowly. Beware, when it actually does come off, gas will be everywhere, so have a hose ready or a drain pan. Repeat this for the other side of the filter and thats that. I would reccomend relieving your fuel pressure a bit before doing this, and I think you can do that just by cranking your ignition a few times with the negative cable off of the battery.

Froader, I almosted lol'ed at what you said about this thread. Keep the RP comments coming everyone.

Pope it might seem complicated but it's probably one of the easiest preventative maintence jobs you can do to your Explorer. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool, and although you can buy the cheap crappy plastic ones at somewhere like Pepboys, I reccomend picking up the metal ones with rubber bands on them that help grab the fuel line (I think I got mine at Autozone). Just take the fuel line disconnect tool, slide it under the fitting of the line, and just try to work it off slowly. Beware, when it actually does come off, gas will be everywhere, so have a hose ready or a drain pan. Repeat this for the other side of the filter and thats that. I would reccomend relieving your fuel pressure a bit before doing this, and I think you can do that just by cranking your ignition a few times with the negative cable off of the battery.

Froader, I almosted lol'ed at what you said about this thread. Keep the RP comments coming everyone.

It's actually easier to just pull the fuel pump fuse in the PDC, it's the 30 Amp one in the back. That way you don't lose your clock and radio presets :D

Pat

The Haynes suggests lifting the front end (I drove up onto ramps) to prevent fuel spillage, and to relieve the fuel pressure it says to unplug the inertia switch and start the engine and let it run until it dies... that's what I did. It seemed to work pretty well...

I got my filter already, but the damn thing was so hard to pull off, and I was losing sunlight, so I decided just to stick to the oil change. I'll pick up one of those little tools tommorow and do the change as soon as the weather clears up... it rained again today...

Got It

Bought 2 quarts of Royal Purple Synthetic ATF for my transfer case and 4 Quarts of Royal Purple 75w-90 sythetic gear lube for my differentials today. I'll probably get to it tomorrow and I'll tell you how my milage is after another tank of gas.

FYI, all of the FULL synthetic fluids (Amsoil, RP, Mobil 1) will perform just about the same. It comes down to price and preference on which is better for you. Personally I run Mobil 1 in my vehicles because I have easy access to it at a price I can live with.

You won't go wrong with any of 'em.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure that most synthetics are 99% the same, but I just felt like trying out something new. I've really needed to change my differentials and T-Case for some time now since I went mudding and the Ex sat in a mudpuddle that was door-high for about 3 hours:p: I'll bet Dino oil would even help my milage at this point.

BTW JDraper, that front bumper is awesome, did you MIG weld it? It must be great having a winch.

Back