Royal Purple

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Friend of mine is looking to run full Royal Purple in everything, and has called to a few local shops and they refuse to do it. Ay one know why they would do that? They also wouldnt give reasons for why they wouldnt do it.

The truck is an 06' SSR w/ auto.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably because its a PITA to completely flush all of the old oil out of the motor and tranny.

More than likely because they do not sell it.

I can tell you right now if you brought the truck to our shop we could 1 - get the stuff you want and put it in or 2- have you buy the stuff and bring it all with you and we'll change them all.

Very strange, but I guess they want to make their 25-45% profit on the products :rolleyes:

-Drew

Thats what I was assuming, Im hoping any shop is competent to do a trans flush properly along with the oil and gear lube. I think we found a local performance shop that is willing to do it. I was just wondering if there is any special reason why they might not want to do the change (IE: being liable for problems?)

Anyone have a good source to get the stuff from cheap?

sn0border88 said:
Thats what I was assuming, Im hoping any shop is competent to do a trans flush properly along with the oil and gear lube. I think we found a local performance shop that is willing to do it. I was just wondering if there is any special reason why they might not want to do the change (IE: being liable for problems?)

Anyone have a good source to get the stuff from cheap?

Why no just put Amsoil in it?

ExplorerDMB said:
I can tell you right now if you brought the truck to our shop we could 1 - get the stuff you want and put it in or 2- have you buy the stuff and bring it all with you and we'll change them all.

Very strange, but I guess they want to make their 25-45% profit on the products :rolleyes:

-Drew

Not very many places are so accomodating to customers. I have a place that will put my Amsoil in, but they also use it, but only for oil changes. Since they see the advantages, and they know that if I use it, I probably change my own oil, then they see they can get the labor dollars by agreeing to to the job for me, so I've had full tranny flush done for $50, and front diff sucked out for $20.

I had a tranny shop tell me one time that using MY fluid would be like asking McDonald's to cook my eggs for me. I don't know what that was supposed to mean, but I crossed them off my list of places to take my vehicle for tranny work.

its just cause when you think about it at first - there's not real profit from it all. But when it boils down theres money in anything over nothing! :thumbsup:

-Drew

rizzjc said:
Not very many places are so accomodating to customers. I have a place that will put my Amsoil in, but they also use it, but only for oil changes. Since they see the advantages, and they know that if I use it, I probably change my own oil, then they see they can get the labor dollars by agreeing to to the job for me, so I've had full tranny flush done for $50, and front diff sucked out for $20.

I had a tranny shop tell me one time that using MY fluid would be like asking McDonald's to cook my eggs for me. I don't know what that was supposed to mean, but I crossed them off my list of places to take my vehicle for tranny work.

I'm pretty lucky. I have a place nearby that has done my oil, tranny and diffy fluids no problem. They actually have a standard service rate for all these things. They understand that they can't carry everything and Amsoil has not really penetrated many markets up here.

ExplorerDMB said:
its just cause when you think about it at first - there's not real profit from it all. But when it boils down theres money in anything over nothing! :thumbsup:

-Drew

Couldn't agree more.

celly said:
I'm pretty lucky. I have a place nearby that has done my oil, tranny and diffy fluids no problem. They actually have a standard service rate for all these things. They understand that they can't carry everything and Amsoil has not really penetrated many markets up here.

Become a dealer and start penetrating! :D

rizzjc said:
Become a dealer and start penetrating! :D

The guy I score my Amsoil from told me these bigger outfits aren't very "penetrable" because their purchasing decisions are made elsewhere. I'm not really the salesman type anyhow. In fact, I don't like salesmen!

There is really only one place I've seen in town that does full Amsoil services. I got them to put all fluids in my Sport and they took eons to do it, made a mess and charged a lot to do it. It was way cheaper for me to get my Preferred deal on the supplies and have this place do it for me.

celly said:
The guy I score my Amsoil from told me these bigger outfits aren't very "penetrable" because their purchasing decisions are made elsewhere. I'm not really the salesman type anyhow. In fact, I don't like salesmen!

There is really only one place I've seen in town that does full Amsoil services. I got them to put all fluids in my Sport and they took eons to do it, made a mess and charged a lot to do it. It was way cheaper for me to get my Preferred deal on the supplies and have this place do it for me.

Yeah, you can only count on the independant places. We've got an independant auto aprts store, and several quick lubes that carry it. 'Course, that's cuz my dealer has been working on them for over 10 years, and they've finally cracked. Some of the small motorcycle shops carry it too. You can't get to the chains, 'cause they won't allow it.

rizzjc said:
Yeah, you can only count on the independant places. We've got an independant auto aprts store, and several quick lubes that carry it. 'Course, that's cuz my dealer has been working on them for over 10 years, and they've finally cracked. Some of the small motorcycle shops carry it too. You can't get to the chains, 'cause they won't allow it.

We have a very large chain up here (Canadian Tire) which carries a limited inventory of Amsoil products. They do have the basics like 5/30 and 10/30 oils, ATF and other products for snowmobiles etc. Their pricing isn't great though. Pretty much the published non-preferred/non-business pricing from Amsoil's site. These guys do service (but I don't trust it), so they could probably do oil changes and ATF fills. They don't carry any of the Amsoil filters though. It's still an option for those who don't want to direct order from Amsoil.

Back