RPM fluctuations at idle. Normal? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

RPM fluctuations at idle. Normal?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Since getting my scan tool, I’ve noticed that my rpm’s decrease and increase slightly in park, and in drive with the brake on. Does this happen to anyone else? It’s not a huge change, but they do move up and down by about 10 rpms every second.

This was over the course of a minute:

9D982F17-1B30-4B25-A273-588EFCEFAF69.png

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

974X4BLACKSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
hudson
Year, Model & Trim Level
BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
Yea, that is normal.

<

poker4me007

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Western Ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4wd 4.0 ohv 5spd

I think the rpms are okay also.
I'm curious do you have a lower temp thermostat (possibly a 180 degree thermostat) ?
If so what brand and how is it working for you?
Thanks.

<

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
...... but they do move up and down by about 10 rpms every second........

A change of 10 rpm second by second is, IMO, a bit more than should be expected, if the load on the engine is not changing at the same rate. As a rule, I've noted pretty precise control of idle speed, unless sluggishness in the Idle Speed Control has developed. You might try cleaning the ISC (IAC, by some), and seeing if that tightens up the idle a bit. imp

<

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I think the rpms are okay also.
I'm curious do you have a lower temp thermostat (possibly a 180 degree thermostat) ?
If so what brand and how is it working for you?
Thanks.

I’m running a Motorcraft RT1161 thermostat and it’s rated for 190 degrees. Which is weird because my scanner never reads a temp higher than 185, even on a hot Florida day. But that’s the only minor issue I have with it. My temp gauge stays at the half mark while driving and idling, and my gas mileage is great so I know it’s not running too cool.

<