• Register Today It's free!

RPM surge in SOHC

Pack

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 FX4 Level II
My '00 SOHC is starting to surge when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. The rpms surge up about 500 then the tranny shifts into 3rd and everything is fine. Anyone know what might be causing this. It only happens from 2nd to 3rd, for now...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slipping tranny. My Wife's '93 Mercury Sable did the same thing for a year before we lost OD for two weeks, then followed by 3rd. $1400 later it shifts better than new and has much better lubrication than Ford built in to it.

Mine is doing the exact same thing. I have already flushed it, changed the filter, added an aux filter and reset the computer. I have noticed that when I reset the computer it goes away for a few days but it comes back. The dealer tried telling me that it is because I added larger tires, but I don't buy that. There is no CEL or flashing OD nothing. There are a couple of TSB's on the tranny shifting, but I can't read the actual TSB just the subject line. If you find out anything, let me know.

Kevin

Ask Jefe what happened when he put larger tires on his '99. I believe his transmission acted oddly until he put his stock sized tires back on.

Two things:

1. The O/D light started flashing today. Is this an indicator that anyone is familiar with?

2. I am running stock tires on my Explorer.

Ask Jefe what happened when he put larger tires on his '99. I believe his transmission acted oddly until he put his stock sized tires back on.

Jefe says nothing acted wierd until he went 4.88's and 35's. Then he bought the Superlift Tru-Speed and all is good again.

You say that the OD light is flashing. How long has it done this before it started flashing. Mine has been doing it for a few weeks, and I have noticed it is related to temperature. When it is cool, nothing is wrong, once i drive about 15-20 minutes then it starts.

OK, the O/D light thing started about a week after the 2nd to 3rd surge started. Today, the light started flashing again, and it felt like the truck would not go into 1st gear. Time to take it in and use some of that free extended warrenty I screwed the dealer out of when I bought this beast.

I will let you know what the diagnosis is when I hear from them.

I am torn here, my truck is doing the exact same thing Pack's is, but mine doesn't have a CEL or O/D light flashing. Should I take it in anyways, or drive it until the light comes on? I hate taking my truck in because the Ford dealer always want to blame it on the larger tires or the KKM or the exhaust or because I didn't follow the manufacturers suggested schedule for changing the blinker fluid.

What do ya'll think?

I got the truck back today. Here is what the Invoice says:

Diagnosed and Replaced Cracked Seperator Plate Gasket per 02-08-02

The Parts List is as follows:

PLT ASY - TRAN
GASKET ASY - TRA
VLV ASY - TRANS
SCRN ASY - TRANS
MERCON R V AUT

There were no prices listed for the parts because it was all taken care of by my extended warrenty.

Hope this helps.

PLT ASY - TRAN
GASKET ASY - TRA
VLV ASY - TRANS
SCRN ASY - TRANS
MERCON R V AUT

Ok, I can figure out most of it, The plate assy. (probably the cracked seperator plate), a new gasket, A VALVE ASSY!!!!(That's like $1800), a new screen, and the Mercon fluid. I am not an expert, but it sounds like you got a rebuild. Mine is still under extended warranty, I wonder if I should take it in.

02-08-02 ? Is that the TSB?

How is your truck running now?

The truck is running fine now. I didn't talk to anyone when I picked it up, just went to the cashier to pay $50 deductible. I am going to call the service department to see if it was rebuilt. I will let you know.

I talked to the service department and was told that the transmission was not completely rebuilt. He said there was an internal leak that required the additional parts listed above. I asked how much was needed in parts for the job and he said around $700. Anyway, they did a good job and I am happy with the truck again....now to find some 31's to go on with the shackles i just ordered.

Usaully that seporator plate is an issue if the tranny is making a whisting noise in idle , all gears EXCEPT N
There is a TSB on this and that is the fix. it really doesnt hurt anything to run it that way and shouldnt have caused any surging?

98-5-14 MAR 98 Whistling/Hissing Noise From Transmission During Idle

ISSUE:
A "whistling" or "hissing" noise from the main control area may occur while idling in Drive and/or Reverse on some vehicles that have either a 4R44E or 5R55E transmission. This may be due to an improperly sized orifice hole in the main control separator plate.

ACTION:
Replace the separator plate with a revised separator plate. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Perform normal diagnosis by referring to the appropriate model/year Service or Workshop Manual.

2.Repair all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) as listed.

3. Repair all transmission concerns as required.

4. Verify that the whistle/hiss noise still exists. If the condition still exists, install the revised Separator Plate (-7A00:cool: onto the main control. Refer to the Service Manual for proper procedure. Refer to the following Application Chart for the correct separator plate.

NOTE:
IF A SYMPTOM OTHER THAN "WHISTLING/HISSING" REQUIRES REPLACING THE MAIN CONTROL, REFER TO THE MAIN CONTROL CHART WITH THE UPDATED PART NUMBERS FOR CORRECT APPLICATION.

Back