• Register Today It's free!

RPMs hang, won't shift.

Smokeurhonda

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
So I have a 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD with 235k miles. Recently I noticed that the rpms tend to hang a little high before shifting. I thought maybe my adaptives had changed since I was driving it hard a couple days before.

After about 15 minutes of driving around town, I took off from a light and it would not shift out of 1st gear. I let off the throttle and it slammed into 2nd. It did the same thing from 2nd to 3rd. The torque converter will not lock up, and I'm not quite sure but it seems it will not shift in to O/D either. I have no flashing O/D light or CEL. Just did a trans service 1000 miles ago. After I park the truck for an hour or so, it returns to normal operation until I get it hot again.

I noticed there is a tsb for a no shift into second, but my symptoms seem slightly different since my truck will finally shift when you release the throttle.

The problem started about a month ago intermittently but now my truck now does this everyday since it's warming up right as I'm getting off the highway headed to work.

Any experience with these symptoms? Thoughts? Thanks.

Any problems with your speedo?

Back