Rubber Boot source(s) ?

BenMar

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Iowa City , Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hi - On my '96 Explorer , with the 4.0 L engine , I need to locate two new rubber boots. The 1st one is the flex cover over the U joint at the steering rack - the one down at the bottom of the steering column. The 2nd one is the flex rubber cover on the inside of the brake power booster - up behind the brake pedal arm.
If anyone could provide a source for these I would sure appreciate it ! Thanks a bunch for the help ! Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try asking one of the guys in the for sale section that's parting out trucks?
Posted via Mobile Device

The 1st one is the flex cover over the U joint at the steering rack - the one down at the bottom of the steering column

not sure what you're talking about here... up against the firewall, or are you talking about the lower steering shaft that connects the inner steering shaft to the rack and pinion?

if it's the latter, then you will need to find a new joint.

joint cover

Hi - yes - down at the bottom where the joint connects to the steering rack. I haven't dug that far down yet , as I thought it might be an easily replaced rubber item ! When you mention getting a new joint - - do you mean that this joint had a cover that is not replaceable ? The joint itself seems to be fine , but the "cover" is open at the top end.

My other flex boot is the one on the inside of the power booster for the brakes. I see in the shop manual that it's part of the power booster. Is Ford trying to say a person should replace the power booster because the dust boot is ripped ? If so , one has to question such planned repairs - right ?

Thanks for your valuable help ! Ben

Hi - yes - down at the bottom where the joint connects to the steering rack. I haven't dug that far down yet , as I thought it might be an easily replaced rubber item ! When you mention getting a new joint - - do you mean that this joint had a cover that is not replaceable ? The joint itself seems to be fine , but the "cover" is open at the top end.

My other flex boot is the one on the inside of the power booster for the brakes. I see in the shop manual that it's part of the power booster. Is Ford trying to say a person should replace the power booster because the dust boot is ripped ? If so , one has to question such planned repairs - right ?

Thanks for your valuable help ! Ben

unfortunately no, it is not serviceable.
there's a few threads floating around on it....
downside is, all the new replacements are partially plastic.
I believe 95-97, the parts were all metal. You may be able to find a good one at a junkyard.

back to you !

Thanks for the info - I'll start searching for something useful !
Kind of hate to think about plastic parts in the steering mechanism .
Ben

Thanks for the info - I'll start searching for something useful !
Kind of hate to think about plastic parts in the steering mechanism .
Ben

you're not the only one!
luckily I managed to find an OEM Ford replacement on eBay that was a full metal unit, just like the one I replaced.

Some more info on that particular piece is here, and Turdle has some good pictures comparing the two.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169840&highlight=sloppy+steering

Steering part

OK - Thanks again for the info ! The search begins !

I found a part number and a part name in the shop manual. It's called a Lower Steering Column Shaft , part # 3C662. A NOTE says to not rotate the steering column when the intermediate shaft is disconnected or DAMAGE TO THE CLOCKSPRING will result. I've been searching for more info on just what the clockspring is ? Any ideas?

Thanks .

I found a part number and a part name in the shop manual. It's called a Lower Steering Column Shaft , part # 3C662. A NOTE says to not rotate the steering column when the intermediate shaft is disconnected or DAMAGE TO THE CLOCKSPRING will result. I've been searching for more info on just what the clockspring is ? Any ideas?

Thanks .

it's in the steering wheel; that's about all I know about it.

I need to replace the lower steering shaft dust boot in my '98 Sport. Is this a dealer-only item? I can't find a new one anywhere. Any suggestions?

Other guys informed me that this is a dealer only item , and quite expensive - I heard prices like $300 +. I was lucky to get a used one from a fellow that was parting out an Explorer.
Look thru the listings of parts for sale. Best of luck - Ben

Back