Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I will be heading down to run the Rubicon trail on Friday October 6th(possibly late Thurday). It is approximately 1400 miles so I figure on two days driving. I should arrive late Saturday evening, ready to start the trail Sunday. I am probably going to bring my Dad with me since he seems to be hooked on wheelin' now. :) Is anyone interested in joining me? I will probably take I-15 south to Salt Lake City and then cut across on I-80 so if anyone wants to do the Battlestar Galactica thing and hook up along the way let me know. We could be a rag-tag fleet of 4WD vehicles heading for the Rubicon. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump :D

Come on Ray!

Ray,

Come with me and test out that new lift of yours! My lift will be all new too except for the drop down brackets. We can test them out at the same time! :D

Hey Paul,
I would but I can't get the days off. :(

Originally posted by rpenner54 in the Colorado run thread
I myself probably won't make this run this time. Oh well I would rather go on the runs that are out of state anyway. More fun. :)

COME AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

Meet me there Ryan!!!!!

LOL Oh boy..... I will just have to see. I will have to see what the money $$$ situation looks like by then to even be able to tell you. I will let you know though. :D

One last try before I leave. Anyone want to join me? I should be arriving on Friday night so the wheelin will start on Saturday. Come on people! Lets see who will make it through the Little Sluice! I'm going to do it, are you up to the chalenge?

Man I wish my rig was up to it. Soon though it will be. Rubicon is only about a two or three hour drive from here so I would join you if I could. Sowwy. Give me some time though and I'll be right beside you.

Paul; you going to run on saturday/sunday? Might be able to do something (if I get the truck back..)

Where are you staying on Friday night?

I really, really doubt you can do little sluice with an explorer. it's too far off camber for it.

Originally posted by tdavis
Paul; you going to run on saturday/sunday? Might be able to do something (if I get the truck back..)

Where are you staying on Friday night?

Not sure where I am staying on Friday night yet.

I really, really doubt you can do little sluice with an explorer. it's too far off camber for it.

HA!! That's exactly the kind of comment that will push me even harder to try it! I guess we'll just have to see won't we. :)

a 4x4er with a hard head.......I like that. I guess all of us here are just like that. I mean everybody says explorers aren't good for the trail....but do we listen....nope. Lets go break something.

What paul doesn't realize is I got dents.. And I've *seen* the little sluice since it's modification. I won't take my dented machine through, because I'm tired of laying it on it's side.

You can't do it. Unless you want to lay your explorer on it's side.

I live in Oakland, CA; which is about 3 hrs from Loon lake. I can be there friday night, ready to run on Saturday morning. I just have to leave sunday afternoon, back for work on Monday.

What Tom doesn't realize is that I don't have enough dents. :D I didn't build this truck to stay in the mall parking lot so when I damage it I do not get too upset. I'm willing to take a little body damage. If I'm not prepared to pay then I shouldn't bother to play. I'll firm up plans for Saturday later in the week and post back here or you can go to POR and add to the thread there.

Paul, good luck with Little Sluice. I sincerely hope you won't have to eat crow after your definitive statement that you're going make it through it.

Been there, seen it and as you know from our trip report, we bypassed it. I also know Tdavis. He'll attempt obstacles that most (sane) people will shy away from. I'm not saying because Tom says it's too tough, you should take his word and not try.
Again, good luck and let us know how you make out.

By the way, they had 8 inches of snow up there a week or so ago. I'm sure it's all melted by now. Just thought I let you know.

If I don't make it no big deal. If I don't try that is a whole 'nother thing.

Change of plans...

Alright, here's the scoop. My stupid Superlift SuperRunner steering needs new tie rod
ends but the bloody thing is not rebuildable and they want $325 for the new piece that
goes to the pitman arm that the tie rods connect to. Not only does Superlift not
know(or maybe not want to say) what parts are needed to fix it, they don't sell
replacement joints. On top of that if I get the part from Superlift I am looking at at
least two weeks for delivery. Screw that I will press out the joints and find out what
fits in there. But no time for that before Thursday.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... rather than freak out and sit home, I am going
to get my "Ghost Car" all loaded up and head down to Vegas for a couple of days. Then
maybe go have a peek at the Grand Canyon and after that head on down to Phoenix to
visit my cousins. Then when we head home we will probably go through the Four
Corners area and pass through Moab before cutting back over to head towards home.
Not really what I had in mind but should be fun anyway. Kinda dissapointed and so is my
Dad but what else can I do? If I don't get away from here my head is going to explode!

Don't forget me.......I'm broke at the time but I'm sure we could find some way to raise some hell.

just a quick update, it might be a good thing you can't make it to the 'con. It's been raining all day here in vegas. I'm not sure how it is up north but I'm sure it's on it's way up there. The last thing you want to try is that trail with any water at all in the area.

[Edited by leebo on 10-04-2000 at 11:36 AM]

Back